Western Fish Cleaning Western Fish Cleaning Western Fish Cleaning Western Fish Cleaning
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Jfish Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MBLMIKE View Post
    I know this is going to raise afew eyebrows and it might even make a few of you out there gasp in horror but I have a question has any one ever eaten sheepshead ? I have been told for many years that they are not good to eat .there bony oily,etc .
    I tried smoked sheephead once. I didn't think that it was too bad honestly

I don't know how the guy did it up or anything though.

Any fish smoked is probably good though.

Tomcat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    I tried smoked sheephead once. I didn't think that it was too bad honestly

I don't know how the guy did it up or anything though.

Any fish smoked is probably good though.
    Actually, sheephead dosen't taste too bad. I have cooked some over a campfire onetime. However, it's taste will vary, depending on how hungry you are, or how much you had to drink!!! T.C.

Post Thanks / Like

Smoked sheephead is quite good. Check it out at Cheesehaven. The fish overall isn't that bad but compared to eyes and perch, it pales in comparison. It takes a good cleaning to make it table fare.

Ag Broker Guest

Where is Cutchers located? Does she work out of her home, I was thinking about headin up this Friday afternoon, hopefully get on some eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Sheepshead recipe

we caught so many friday I kept one and put it in the fryer after all the walleye had been cooked. and it was not bad maybe the walleye flavored the oil ? going to try smoking some maybe we can lower there numbers a little . any one know any smoking technique that will work ? or recipes for cooking them.

Rusty Guest

Default Sheephead Recipe

Best way I've heard for sheephead is to smoke it over an open flame. Use baking string and secure the fillets to a 2x4. Butter, garlic salt and pepper and little olive oil. Continue to turn for roughly 10-15 minutes high over the open flame.

Remove from the fire, discard the fillets and eat the 2x4.

Gotta love them eye's.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cutchers

shes within a mile of besse power plant

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speaking of recipes

Rusty,
    I think I like Your Sheephead recipe best. Thats a classic. Forgive me if I repeat that one. Speaking of recipes, I have a good one for walleye. At the grocery store get some Hooters wing breading mix. Its not usually where they keep breading, but where they keep sauces for making hot wings. Its not spicy or anything, you would have to add the hotsauce for that. Anyway, make a soupy broth by adding water or even better your favorite beer. Then put some of the mix on a plate dry. Dip fillets in the wet then directly into the dry stuff then into hot oil. Little bit of salt and your in business. Makes awsome fried fish. Anybody else got any recipes for walleye? Always looking for something new as I eat a heck of alot of fish.
    Thanks,
    Agent "H"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MBLMIKE View Post
    we caught so many friday I kept one and put it in the fryer after all the walleye had been cooked. and it was not bad maybe the walleye flavored the oil ? going to try smoking some maybe we can lower there numbers a little . any one know any smoking technique that will work ? or recipes for cooking them.
    Brine them skin on in a mix of water and salt dense enough to float an uncooked egg. Brine them 12 hours or so and smoke them low temp, lots of thick smoke 8 hours or so. Stoke the fire every 30 min or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Smoked sheepshead or other recipes

That sounds good will try it next time , going to try the hooters recipe also , I have been using a mix called fishermans all natural coating it is the best I have seen not real thick and with a good oil it fries up golden brown cant wait to get out there and pick up a few more eyes .