In need of help In need of help In need of help In need of help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In need of help

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    When I am able to fish, that is my program! TT 40's behind Church Tackle TX-22 inline boards with either worm harness's, spoon harness's or spoons. Does the TT 40's change how my boards pull? Answer is yes they do! They make them squat in the rear while in the fish finding mode (set) but once they are tripped the boards come up in the rear and run level. That is fine with me as it makes them much easier to read! I do not run them with the tattle tail flags as I feel that I do not need them and the tattle tail flags make it just a tad bit harder to reset the lines, I am also the impatient kind of guy when the bite is hot. I settled on the TX-22 boards over the Walleye Boards only because they set upright in the water when at rest or if they would happen to come off due to not being installed properly.

I also run TT 40's behind the Church Tackle Walleye Boards when I need an extra set of boards out. When in the spread of mixed boards all of the boards form that nice V off of both corners of the boat. I also have and occasionally use a set of the Church Tackle TX-44 Boards, I improvised a stock set of the tattle tail flags for them as they pull so hard it makes them next to impossible to read when you have a small fish on, I believe that they now offer the TT flags for the TX-44 boards. I do not recommend using TX-44's unless you are using them with rods capable of handling a dipsey diver because of how hard they pull.

Remember on calm flat days (waves 1 ft. or less) run your boards further from the boat. example would be 80, 60, 40 then maybe off of the corners on rougher days you can usually run them closer, example would be 60, 40, 20 then off of the corners.

Trying to compare a inline weight, jet diver or TT 40 behind the inline boards would be like comparing apples to oranges as any of the three methods would make the board run at a different angle. It would be similar to a truck running down the highway with no trailer, a small 2 wheel trailer or pulling your boat and trailer each situation produces different results. The end result is that the truck gets the job done under all 3 scenarios and so do the in line boards with the 3 different types of lure presentation.
    Wakina TT with boards is how i figured im gonna set up (whenever that day may be) may i ask what kind of rods you like to use with the boards? Thanks for the reply great info, very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eriecaster View Post
    Wakina TT with boards is how i figured im gonna set up (whenever that day may be) may i ask what kind of rods you like to use with the boards? Thanks for the reply great info, very helpful.
    Can't speak for him, but we bought a couple of Cabela's Depthmaster rods with Ambassador line counter reels. The rods were fine, and I've always loved the Ambassador reels. I haven't calibrated them to check for accuracy, but you can't beat them when it comes to reliability and how smooth they are. Cabela's had them as a package when we got them a little over a month ago. I'm sure there are better rods out there, but for approximately $40, you can't beat 'em if you're only going to use them 4-5 times per year. As for the reels, I've had one for 12 years that's been used for hundreds of hours of catfishing and even dozens of hours in saltwater and hasn't slowed down a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

For the inline boards I use a 1 pc. 7 ft. medium action Casting Rod and or trolling rod. Here are a couple of good rods that more than get the job done at a good price! All are under $30.00. Cabela's Whuppin' Stick and 1100 series Shakespeare Ugly Stik available at Walmart, these are very durable and capable rods. Better to go with a little less rod (cheaper) and put the savings into a little better quality reel, meaning the best reels that you can afford! I personally believe the reel is the real work horse when it comes to walleye trolling.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Color

One more question I have for you guys. I see they have multiple color choices for the TT divers, do you guys think color makes a difference or not? I have also heard of guys spray painting them a dull color is this necessary?

Post Thanks / Like

One more question I have for you guys. I see they have multiple color choices for the TT divers, do you guys think color makes a difference or not? I have also heard of guys spray painting them a dull color is this necessary?
    I use the purple, blood red and orange. The fish don't seem to care which color I am using, they are more interested in what is following along behind that funny shaped and colored fish (diver) than the diver itself.

Remember, in Lake Erie, walleyes are basically #3 in the food chain but they are also the most plentiful of the top 3 with Northern Pike and Muskies being #2 and #1 respectively, both of which are much lower in numbers ( bordering on scarce in the open waters) than the walleyes so the walleyes don't have as much to fear in Erie as they would in say Lake St Clair or Lake of the Woods in MN.

I prefer the blood red and purple in that order but only because I like their looks. I believe that boat noise and the noise coming from within the boat are a larger factor than diver color when it comes to success along with the shadow the boat is casting. While walleye fishing I play only the VHF marine radio and if the traffic gets to high on it I either turn it off or down as low as I can and still hear it. The calmer the water the more stealth you have to use, that is why you run your boards further from the boat on those calm days, even clouds will make a difference on those flat days and relieve some of the walleyes fear of the boat.

Boards do at least 3 things for you! They allow you to target those fish that were out there in the first place (cover more water) and not affected as much if at all by the boat noise and shadow and also allows you to target those fish that have scattered away from the approaching boat noise and shadow. Boards also allows for better sepration of your fishing lines allowing you to run more lines.
    Last edited by wakina; 07-25-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

To add to Wakina's list, I've used chartreuse, bare naked, and smoke. I think the bare naked looks awesome, but I haven't noticed that any catch fish more than the others.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Been fishing out of Meinke's for the last four seasons (B103 27' Sportcraft). haven't been out much this year. Going to try this weekend haven't decided if we will be perching or going for walleye. Sounds like walleye might be the ticket. We pull big boards with mini disks and spoons and dipsies with harnesses off the back. Go by Dirty Business on the radio and run in scan mode or monitor 72, but will switch around from time to time. Give me a call and I'll let ya know how we are doing. If you want I will PM my cell number but seem to have battery issues when out too far. I think the roaming eats up the juice. Would like to start networking a little more around the marina to meet some new people and keep on the fish. I try to make it out at least once a week to check on things. Feel free to stop by the dock if you see me out. I usually have an extra beer or two with me at the dock.

Greg
    Last edited by eye-man; 07-25-2013 at 07:47 PM.