Don't be stupid Don't be stupid Don't be stupid Don't be stupid
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Don't be stupid

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ccw...

I want any LEO speaking to me to be as at ease at possible. By simply handing the CCW permit with the I.D. at the same time and declaring if I am carrying or not is easy enough - providing the request for the I.D. from the officer(s) is a legal request in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by airshot View Post
    freddie....
    I would like to see the part where it states that if you are not armed you do not have to tell the officer you have a ccw permit. If you read it it states that you must notify if you are armed. There is no specific statement that says
    " you are not required to notify an officer that you are a ccw holder if not carrying a firearm" it does not say that and that is the gray area. I ma not
    trying to start anything here, but one cannot assume the law is on there side because something is not clarified. The officer knows whether you have one the minute he runs a plate or runs your license, hell they even know when they run your fishing and hunting license. Your ccw is listed on all federal and state documentation. I will take my chances with the judge's opinion as he will be the one to make the decision.

Airshot
    Seriously are you kidding me?!?! It is very clearly written and stated in the law that was posted by freddie.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.12
    Quote:
    (B) No person who has been issued a concealed handgun license shall do any of the following:
    (1) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun, fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun;

The part of the law that I highlighted in red is the proof. If it were the law that you had to notify even if you were NOT carrying a concealed weapon then that part would just be left out and it would read like this...

If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun, fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a concealed handgun license.

I run in to this conversation all the time. While I agree that it is probably just as easy to go ahead and inform either way, it is not the law to do so. Everyone that has their CCW should know the law clearly because you WILL be challenged sooner or later. I take my right to carry concealed very seriously and suggest that anyone else that has a CCW do the same. Know the law and know your rights.

There is a great forum that covers lots of topics like this. It is http://www.ohioccwforums.org/
    I highly suggest that you guys check it out. It is packed with a bunch of topics such as the one we are discussing and has many members that have a wealth of knowledge on the CCW subject.

Be safe.
    Last edited by ReelTime; 04-17-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ever heard of "intent of the law" ask a lawyer... this is what the judge said that came into our class. The intent of the law is that ccw holders inform officers of their permits. You will probably not go to jail for this but you could very well have a fight on your hands is the point the judge was trying to make. Anyone wants to test the court system in an attempt to prove himself correct, be my guest. The "intent" of the law is still there and is used almost daily in court cases. The law does not specifically state that you do not have to inform if not carrying so then it becomes intent.
    And yes I do take my ccw license very seriously and constantly read and keep updated on any changes. And yes I know the laws "very well". I also know what the term 'intent of the law" means, just look at the number of persons serving time for failure to obey the "intent of the law" and you will see many do not know what that means.

Airshot

Post Thanks / Like

My last comment...
    The intent of the law (as it is written) is so that the LEO knows ahead of time when he is dealing with someone that is armed...not someone that has a CCW.

waterdog Guest

Default Mace

I carry mace~!
    Sabre Defense Spray.
    You just never know when one of those walleye will attack you with those nasty big teeth, so I am prepared!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReelTime View Post
    My last comment...
    The intent of the law (as it is written) is so that the LEO knows ahead of time when he is dealing with someone that is armed...not someone that has a CCW.
    Exactly. The intent of the notification law is that an officer knows when you are armed.

For the final time, there is NO requirement to notify when unarmed. None at all. I have posted the Ohio Revised Code section explaining this, so why are we still arguing it? I've already cited Ohio law as my reference lol

If you still insist there is, Airshot, I challenge you to post that section of the ORC that details Failure to Notify while unarmed. Heck, even post a link to where somebody got ticketed for "intent of the law" as you say, for Failure to Notify while unarmed.

I think you're just a little confused on this, or that misinformed judge got you too. Check out OhioCCWForums.org , and ask the guys there. That is Ohio's absolute best firearms forum.

ANYWHO, back to fishin!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
    I carry mace~!
    Sabre Defense Spray.
    You just never know when one of those walleye will attack you with those nasty big teeth, so I am prepared!
    LOL~This time of the year it is not their teeth that I am worried about, the boy eyes have a much nastier weapon at their disposal, and they use it with reckless abandon almost like they have no control over it.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

When I originally posted this thread, I could never have imagined the can of worms I opened. I have enough bait to last me the whole season and then some. 4,200+ hits!!!
    Unreal. Let's close the book on concealed carry and get back to fishing, or to be more accurate, catching those elusive Lake Erie walleye. And the choir sang "AMEN......."
    Last edited by Dr.Ed; 04-19-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: word change