Frustrated Frustrated Frustrated Frustrated
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frustrated

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the encouraging advice. I will definitely get out with someone who can show me the ropes. I have been following advice on this site and have picked up a lot, especially on trolling.

I was picking up a lot of fish on the finder at various depths. Most of the fish were around 28 to 30 feet down, so that is where we targeted, but who knows if any where walleye. I did pick up several sheephead and whitebass at that depth. We were at the south eastern edge of the boats, near the gull buoy. I think we should have been farther north and west.

Definitely good to hear what others did in the area to help figure out what did work.
    Thanks everyone
    John

Post Thanks / Like

If you are fishing 28 to 30 feet down, you are fishing too deep right now. We have been catching our fish in the top 3rd of the water column. This time of year if weather is good the fish like to feed up high. Try raising your baits and see what happens. If you are trolling you also need to make sure you are at the proper speed. use bags to slow you down if you are moving too fast. 1.8 to 2.0 for harnesses and up to 2.0 to 2.5 for spoons would be a good start.

Keep it at, you'll get there!

Post Thanks / Like

Default line out

Over the weekend, the trolling out performed casting with a few exceptions.
    Trolling 30 jets performed at 80-90-100 back and 40 jets performed 80-90-100. 2 and 3 on at a time when on the hot spot. Bright color spoons, flashy wild patterns and coppers. Dipseys went 45-70 ft.Several tried casting , including myself with slow catch rates in the deep water in the Tri-angle. Went to trolling when it calmed down and couldnt keep all the lines in the water. Junk fish are just all over, cant get away from them. Sort through the unwanted fish to find the wanted ones. Casting had no pattern, some high, some low, some mid way, lot of luck but a few hit the worm just as start to reel. This was the deeper water of the Triangle area. Saturday was good on the shallow reefs in the wind as my neighbor (retired capt. ) did very well being 3 short of a limit for 5 friends on big ones doing the casting. Limits taken today on boat #2in short order and #3 was well on his way. Boat #1 (me) I was ready to go, waited, waited, ended up with a no show. I guess they missed out on a nice warm day of fishing.Water clearity is good most areas.
    Last edited by gregnwtf; 06-10-2012 at 04:47 PM.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]