29' Larson sinks SW of S. Bass Sunday 29' Larson sinks SW of S. Bass Sunday 29' Larson sinks SW of S. Bass Sunday 29' Larson sinks SW of S. Bass Sunday
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh yea I was out in my pontoon..it really wasn't that rough..only. 3 or 4 waves barely splashed on to my deck where the front is open and I was anchored in the front..glad I got vinyl floors..instead of carpet..free wash job..sorry to hear about your loss..and glad everyone is safe!.. must have been something not right somewhere..

Post Thanks / Like

The guy got onto the boat as it was moving as he was dropped of / into it with 2 large electric pumps and a power pack by another rescue marine boat. The Larson was floating and empty of free water by the time it got to Marblehead. I have been called super stupid by a few for anchoring of the back and believe me I am not feeling real smart, but 90% of the perch fisherman anchor of the back to keep the boat in one place. But unless a mechanical issue is found, one rogue waved swamped and sunk this 29' boat anchored of the stern in less than 5 minutes. Open back boats should be especially concerned of anchoring off the stern from now on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    I have been called super stupid by a few for anchoring of the back and believe me I am not feeling real smart, but 90% of the perch fisherman anchor of the back to keep the boat in one place.
    I would never call you stupid, I'm sure you learned from this and thats what matters. Unfortunatly the price for tuition was expensive.

When I was perch fishing Sat I seen a bunch of boats tieing their anchors off the stern as well.
    Wasn't there some football players that tied off the stern and swamped their boat off FLA a while back? I seem to remember a story about one or two of the guys clinging to the capsized boat for days.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Of Corse there is always risk in tying off the stern.. If you have to do it increase your scope (length of anchor line) It should always be at least 4 to 5 times or more the depth of the water. A very short scope will not let the boat ride up and over a rouge wave.. It would be rare to set an anchor right below a boat.. But I have seen on light an variable wind days people pull the anchor rope snug right below the boat when the wind changes direction.. Thus not having any give when a rouge wave comes by..This a very dangerous habit. Just my opinion..

Post Thanks / Like

if you look at the picture of the boat it has an anchor on the bow, i really don't think a wave swamped the boat, i always use the bow because that's where my anchor is, on my old boat i only used the bow when it wasn't that rough. it can happen to anyone. like the bumper sticker says s*** happens

Post Thanks / Like

Default Increased scope

Thanks skipper 9 for your comments. I had 150' of anchore line on the anchor / boat, but had only used 100 feet as per the rule of thumb: 3 times the depth. Your advice does make sense, especially relative to anchoring off the stern. I really need to totally understand this. Three people, but all of which were pretty good size, over 700 lbs total. Boat with low walk out door and gap of 2" under door as designed, pretty calm day as you can see from the pictures. I am still not sure if it was one wave or just one that finsihed us off. After the boat is reviewed in detail for drain lines being connected, etc I will post the experts opinion's such that the viewers can learn as I will and hopefully this never happens to anyone else. We cut the anchor line with a pair of scissors. cost us 30 seconds for not having a knife on my belt. knot was too tight to untie quickly by then. This boat has perch fished like this many times before, but maybe not with this much weight (maybe 150lbs more?)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I seem to remember a story about one or two of the guys clinging to the capsized boat for days.
    Yes the guys were fishing in the Gulf in rough seas. Their anchor got stuck and in an attempt to pull it loose they tied the anchor rope to the stern and tried to pull it out with the power of the motor. When the anchor rope came taught the boat flipped. Only one survived that incodent. All they had to do was cut the rope and count their losses to maybe a $100.00 anchor at most.

It's very simple, just don't anchor off the stern.
    Last edited by ReelTime; 08-23-2011 at 05:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    We cut the anchor line with a pair of scissors. cost us 30 seconds for not having a knife on my belt. knot was too tight to untie quickly by then.
    Last spring I saw a safety tool some place built specifically for cutting anchor lines. Orange plastic, had a hook, and down inside hook was a curved razor blade. It was something you could carry in your pocket and not worry about getting cut but looked like it would quickly do number on taut anchor line. Though about buying to keep hanging ready in the boat, just for reasons like this. Didn't, and when I went back to where I thought I bought it, didn't have any. Haven't been able to find. Anybody carry anything like that and where did you get it. I don't like open knife laying around in bouncing boat.