Water Dogs~ Perch Report Water Dogs~ Perch Report Water Dogs~ Perch Report Water Dogs~ Perch Report
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spiny Water Fleas

Water Dogs, when you get a chance please take a good photo (if you can) of the spiny water fleas you are finding in the stomachs of Yellow Perch and post it on this thread. Lots of people would probably like to see what they look like coming from the perch. It would be helpful if others would also check for them, so we can get an idea of where they are in the Lake. See if perch caught in various locations are also eating them. Good info for perch fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    Water Dogs, when you get a chance please take a good photo (if you can) of the spiny water fleas you are finding in the stomachs of Yellow Perch and post it on this thread. Lots of people would probably like to see what they look like coming from the perch. It would be helpful if others would also check for them, so we can get an idea of where they are in the Lake. See if perch caught in various locations are also eating them. Good info for perch fishing.
    I can tell you where some were two weeks ago. A few miles out from Cedar Point we were trolling for walleye and our lines collected bunches of them moving through the water. Funny looking little buggers. I'm guessing the two little black dots were eyes? The perch we caught out by middle the week before were also full of them.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Post Thanks / Like

Default 5 Perch Thursday G can area (9/14/18)

Perching is still a tuff go.
    Caught 5 sheep head, 4 young walleye (5 inches ~ returned unharmed).
    (no throw back perch!) They were nice keepers.
    Moved 3 times around the G can area and the water clarity was fine.
    Sassy Sal was in the area N W of G can , but moved further north after about 2 hours.
    Water is cooling down now and I hope to see an improvement soon with some bigger walleye moving back into the area.
    Fish On, (soon?)
    ~ Water Dog

Post Thanks / Like

Default spiny water fleas and gobies (source: from a post last year in this thread)

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    Water Dogs~ Perch Report-img_0330-jpg
    here is a photo taken and posted in this thread about a year ago;
    the spiny fleas are small, and have two black eyes, better photos can be found by searching the internet, the ones on the lower right have been mushed in the stomach but you can still see some features.
    the white piece is a growth I cut off a sheep head (looks like chewed gum) and was eaten by this perch~!
    I will try to get a close up photo the next time I clean some Yellow Gold.
    See a slight wiggly, Set That Hook, and Fish ON~
    Water Dog

Post Thanks / Like

Super pic. Interesting, I think I see maybe 3 waterflees, one shiner, one either shiner or maybe goby, and also a small zebra mussle. That Yellow Gold is a health nut and eating from all the food groups!

Curious...at the first quick "there and gone" tap, are you setting the hook on the slack line or waiting to feel the next tap? Seems like there has been a lot of one and done, quick here and gone hits this year. Normally can do a slow lift and feel them there but not this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Default H can 6 yellow perch (9-14-18) Friday

Water Dogs~ Perch Report-img_0482-jpg
    Many light bites and a bunch of young walleye.
    And some sheep head.
    Just south of H can 18 fow.
    I tried some casting for walleye near the Camp Perry pier, I was marking fish but no hits.
    Back at it soon.
    ~Water Dog

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. Sure helps. They gotta start biting some time...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey WD I am coming out of.tousaint tomorrow lookin at this map I have there is a g can south just outside of th range danger zone and another further north which are.u fishing I appreciate the help.
    Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Addiction View Post
    Hey WD I am coming out of.tousaint tomorrow lookin at this map I have there is a g can south just outside of th range danger zone and another further north which are.u fishing I appreciate the help.
    Hi Matt.
    Going NE, from Camp Perry pier it is H can, G can , then F can, I have a photo of this range map on this web site, see waterdog's photo album.
    Good luck~! wind and waves today is NE 1-3, too bouncy for this old man.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Feet Wet soon~! (walleye and yellow perch)

Repairs needed for Water Dog, after that it's on!
    When jigging for walleye, I also fish a perch spreader and drag it on the bottom, tipped with minnows.
    ~ Water Dog