Yellow Perch - what's going on? Yellow Perch - what's going on? Yellow Perch - what's going on? Yellow Perch - what's going on?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Preferred temp for the SWF is between 50 and 75.5 degrees. They can survive in 40 to 86 degree water.

Post Thanks / Like

but i bet their number go down some

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

Whenever I put a post on this site regarding the fisheries issues and management of Lake Erie, I accept that some people will either take my post with the wrong intent or they will respond with a comment that they read into my post. Replies / posts are certainly welcome. I try my best to be clear. None of us are perfect, so I expect some misinterpretation now and then, either my fault for not writing clearly or someone reading something in or out of my post.

Just to clear something up.

I never said commercial fishing has little impact on fish numbers. I said, and meant to say, that the current spiny water flea issue isn’t likely a result of current commercial fishing. The complicated process of evaluating and managing Lake Erie fish populations has provided a pretty good and accurate model over the years, and is always improving. Catch quotas are set with long term impacts figured in. That’s the point – to make sure populations can survive future poor hatches and other limiting factors.

Post Thanks / Like

Well there is no doubt that all those 19-22 walleye will eat there fair share of small perch as always
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Post Thanks / Like

One year ago, all I read was all the great catches of perch. One year later a different tune. This Spring and early Summer was a bit unusual and in my opininon has brought about some unusual patterns. I am expecting the bite to improve. They did not just disappear in one year.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with West Basin. In my opinion, The problem is related to these algae blooms. . I believe It has decimated the minnow population. . In years past, I can remember schools of minnows out from shore, even in areas of high algae concentration. But this crap is toxic. Very rare to see minnows now. The perch have adapted to a new food source.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the bloom problem but the evasive birds are not helping neither as they are eating fingerlings by the droves

Post Thanks / Like

We have been having some sucess lately catching them . Got 55 of them friday near green can in catawba. Some jumbos but alot near the 8 inch size.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the most good news I have heard in weeks!

Post Thanks / Like

Yellow Perch - what's going on?-image-1-002-jpg

Head boats and six pack charter boats are a good source for info on catch rates. This "crash" in catch rates is not so sudden. Michigan needs to reduce the daily limit to 25 fish, as do the rest of the Lake Erie states. In 40 years of fishing all over Michigan waters of the great lakes I've seen perch fisheries "crash", and in every instance it's been for a number of different reasons. The one constant has been inaction when the fishery is stressed. If things get better creel limits can always be increased