Making / rebuilding worn harness' Making / rebuilding worn harness' Making / rebuilding worn harness' Making / rebuilding worn harness'
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Making / rebuilding worn harness'

After fishing last weekend I noticed that some of my work harness' either need to go to the trash or be rebuilt. I think I am going to RE tie them and I was wondering what size/style/brand of hooks everyone prefers as well as what type/ test of line to use? I found a good video on YouTube demonstrating how to snell the hooks so I am ok there. Also, has anyone ever used the mono stinger from a jig as the "3rd" hook on a harness? We had some pull backs with only half a worm left and I'm thinking one more hook at the end of the worm might have got the fish. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I use mostly #2 and #1 dropshot hooks. I use #17 test mono as it lays out straighter and you will get less harness twisting. If you stick with 10 or 12lb test you can us smaller hooks since to snell a lot of hooks the eyelet is not large enough to double 17 or 20lb test line thru. Yes, when required I will add one of my stinger hooks to make the rig a 3 hook harness but that is very rare. I'd rather figure out a better method staying with the 2 hook as that stinger just makes you take that little fish off every time, and you still have to replace the worm. Sometimes it works to put 1/2 to 1/3 of a crawler ( depending on size) on the front hook and put a 4 inch rubber worm on the back hook so it looks like one long worm, the trash fish typically don't like the rubber worm, they nip then let go but walleye will still engulf the whole thing.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hooks

Any particular brand of hook? Thanks again for yet another VERY useful reply!

Post Thanks / Like

As far as brand, I don't stick to anyone brand, I look at the hooks and pick from the best available. I don't like the bronze hooks that a lot of folks like. They are cheaper but they also do not hold a good edge like a better quality hook. I spend a lot to get out there and fish and I'm not going cheap on one of the cheapest price items I use. But that's me.
    And so far last year and this year my spoon harnesses have out produced regular harnesses by ALOT! I haven't tried them yet east of west sister yet as last year I didn't need to go further east.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post a picture of one of your spoon harnesses?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice rigs

I'm diggin' those spoon harness rigs. Have you run them fast, over 2mph? Do these replace your spoons, replace your harness' or just fit a niche in-between?

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you like em, I run them on one side of the boat while running harnesses on the other and let the fish tell me what they want. So far the fish prefer the spoon harness. Typically I run them from .8 to 1.2 as that has produced the best. I have not run them over 1.9 mph as I have not had to. If I want to run spoons over 2 mph I just run spoons. I have not run these without meat, but would probably work with the added color flash of the beeds.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG maybe have i found more that i have done wrong during my time of playing a fishermen !? Ebijack i see the spoons that you made up and have to say wow never seen anything like them, i have never used spoons yet for the EYES but have a assortment of them in my box, i have mostly always cast for them normal harnesses and very rarely erie's or nuggets, i have my on boat now and have trolling gear that came with it.

first things first i see that you mentioned that you make up your harnesses with 17lbs is that the same for all harness and spoons ? i have allways thought 10-12lbs test,

second is the blade selection very important like shape and size of them ? i mean i know color and all play a role but the different type Colorado willow and all them?

so much to ask wow ive been in the dark i think my friends i fished with for many years are to square it seems

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I use #17 test for my harnesses and spoon harnesses and my trolling line on my rods. Over the years there have been too many "fish of a life time" or good tourney fish lost due to folks not playing the fish right and just flat out over stretching #10 and #12 test mono. I don't troll with braid anymore. One of my fishin buddy's has always used #17 and he catches walleye to big bullets on the #17 so quite a few years ago I switched over and have not had a problem at all. #17 lays out straighter than #10 or #12 mono for harnesses ending up with hardly ever getting a twisted up mess like happens at times with the lighter mono. As far as spoon color, yes like everything else it can make a big difference. Size spoon harness I have not noticed that much of a difference. I have spoon harnesses from my handlining spoons to the big 4 inch spoons I have converted and they all work. Color seems more important. Like I mentioned I'm sure I have more than 50 or 60 spoon harnesses made up. Another one of my fishin partners who is hooked on the spoon harnesses just keeps his box of spoons with the treble hooks removed and ties up the harnesses end with a snap swivel on each one and just attaches the hooks to what ever spoon he decides to use. He is still getting more than 85% of his everyday on the spoon harness over regular harness( some days it's 100%). He's lucky as he gets to fish when ever he wants unlike a lot of us who have to still work. I prefer to pull meat than run regular spoons. Just my preference.