Ice fishing tip for Bluegills and Pumpkinseed Ice fishing tip for Bluegills and Pumpkinseed Ice fishing tip for Bluegills and Pumpkinseed Ice fishing tip for Bluegills and Pumpkinseed
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    tkymasters Guest

Default Ice fishing tip for Bluegills and Pumpkinseed

Last year I watched a lot of people use all sorts of different and wierd techniques for catching these sweet and tasty morsels. You may think "What, bluegills?!?!" But if you have ever tried them out, they are my #2 favorite fish to eat. The texture and sweet taste is like no other fish. I've seen jigs of all size all color, but one in particular was just HOT!

I was using a #8 Moon jig, black with sparkles, and a couple of spikes on the jig (spikes looks like maggots). Jigged a couple of inches off the bottom and I couldn't keep the bluegills off. My girlfriend was usuing a light green jig a couple of feet away from me and she was catching just a few. We switched holes and the same thing happened.

I did alot of reading from different ice anglers in the US, and most of them reccomended using this particular color and brand. Sure enough, last year we limited everytime we set out on the ice. Thanks to the Moon jig. I bought them from Gander Mtn, $1.99 for a pack of 2. We fished on Lk St. Clair inside the docks close to the DNR boat launch. 16 mile/Jefferson

Hope to see you guys out there this season.
    Last edited by tkymasters; 11-20-2008 at 10:51 AM.

tkymasters Guest

WAs out on the ice at Lk St Clair from 0830-1500. Caught our limit in gills and sunfish with a 10 crappies. Was using the black moon jig with spikes. They were biting from a couple inches to a foot off the bottom. The ice was 4 inches in most of the harbor. a couple of spots where it was less than 1 inch.. Thankfully we were not the only ones out there. Just make sure you check with your spud before taking a step.. There was open water at the shoreline, but we found a solid place to step on the lake. Ice shanty was a must yesterday.. the wind from the lake was piercing. My GF was in the shanty all day and still caught her limit.. I like to jump around to different holes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Lake St. Clair ice fishing

Any good size on the crappies??

tkymasters Guest

Crappies were 10-12 inches. we threw back a few that were 6-8 inches. they were not biting minnows, but were jumping on the moon jig.

tkymasters Guest

ice has been pretty thin lately on Lk St Clair.. unable to fish this pass weekend. Hopefully the ice gets better this coming weekend with all this cold weather we've been having.

tkymasters Guest

Went out there this pass Monday and it was horrible! Caught only 5 in 3 hours. I looked with the Aqua view and saw nothing but large mouth bass and a few bluegills.. Otherwise it was a desert under the ice. No Perch, walleye, crappie, or pumpkinseed.. What in the world is going on with the fishing these days?

tkymasters Guest

Went out and tried again... The perch are finally in St Clair, but they are very small.. No bluegills or pumpkinseeds. This year is not starting very good for ice fishing.. Maybe February will turn up some movement under the ice..

Brest bay was good until the ice starting washing away.. Caught 5 Eyes and some perch. Be very careful of open water and ice movement.. Too scary for me.