Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman86 View Post
BoatUS will cover every boat you own for $72, the $158 is for their saltwater plan.

http://www.boatus.com/towing/services.asp

My question is, does anyone know what an hourly rate is for the companies on the Western end of the lake? The insurance policy on the boat will cover up to $500 for a tow, which is more than enough if it's $100/hr, but if they're getting $200+/hr, that extra $72 a year isn't looking too bad.

I do know the clock starts from the time they leave their dock and runs until they get back to the dock, I'm guessing it would take a minimum of 4 hours where we're usually fishing (assuming they're coming from Port Clinton). So if it's $100/hr, $500 should suffice. If it's $250/hr, if I get towed once every 5-10 years, the membership pays for itself.

Does anyone know what the hourly cost is for some of these services?
About 5 years ago I had to get towed from Gull to Kelly's Island. It was almost $600. I did have insurance, but I had to pay up front and then try to get reimbursed from my insurance company (Which eventually I did) but they only reimbursed me $500. Even if the tow was under $500 and they paid me the full amount back, it wasn't worth $80 to go through the hassle.

I have been with Rescue Marine ever since. However, now reading that some companies will insure multiple boats for less $$ I may need to switch. I will say that with Rescue Marine the boat is insured, not just me... So when my dad or brother takes it out they are still covered. When they insure you as an individual, then you need to be on the boat for them to cover it.

-Matt