I have been fishing Central Lake Erie for many years. Quite a few years back I had my own boat until I lost it in a divorce. Recently I have been fishing regularly with a friend of mine from his boat. I started ice fishing the Western basin a few years ago (unfortunately no ice this past winter). I understand and respect the power of the Lake Erie weather and waves! With that being said, I have a 14' Deep-V with a 9.9 that I wanted to bring up to fish near shore on a good water day. I travel nearly 4 hours to get there and I do understand that on some days, although the weather report suggested it would be a calm day, that changes.

I looking for honest opinions regarding where the best and safest places to launch and walleye fish are anywhere from Sandusky to Toledo. I feel comfortable going up to 2, 2 1/2 miles out with that boat on a good day. I know to understand what the weather report has to offer, listen to the marine radio, head in at the first sign of inclement weather, wear life jackets, and so on. I have seen many small boats fish the Central Basin area and have seen posts of guys even fishing from kayaks in the Western Basin.

Another question I have, what is the better option, trolling or jigging? The weather/waves are looking favorable for this weekend so I might give the trip a try.

Thanks in advance,
Steve