Quote Originally Posted by portclintonangler View Post
Been out perch fishing several times this year. Several times this year I have done the shiner shuffle in the morning before the crew gets there. Every time I find them I get an extra scoop or two. When I’m finished I place the extras on a cookie sheet salt them down and put them in the freezer. Once frozen I place them in zip lock bags. When out fishing keep them on ice double hook them and they work pretty good. Anyone have any other ways they freeze them that works good ?
I put them in a colander and drain as much of the water off of them as I can, cover them with a heavy coating of kosher salt, shake them around to get an even coat on them then transfer them to a large plastic bag. I place the plastic bag in the fridge for a couple of days then dump them into the colander again to drain off the liquid that has been pulled out of the minnows and rinse them to remove the salt and let them drain. I put them in the dehydrator just until they become leathery tough and then put them in a clean plastic bag and freeze. They seem to work better than golden shiners and almost as well as fresh shiners. Just keep them on ice while out fishing and then put the let overs back in the freezer when you get home.