After you catch? After you catch? After you catch? After you catch?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the best guys in here cut their walleye, and some don't. I have no problem with admitting that they are much "whiter" when they are cleaned.

My question is if there is a difference in taste? I am not sure that I want to come up with a system while I am running 16 lines, and bags out each side, 7 other guys on the boat...

Secondly, I don't notice much of an issue while cleaning fish? Everyone talks about how much of a mess it prevents... Seems to me that its a potential mess in the boat (although some of you have system that keep it all in the Lake). When we clean fish though, we clean them, and hose down the table. It takes less than a minute to clean the entire table. I am sure that even if I bleed them out I would still have to hose down and wash the table...

So for me, it definitely doesn't change my clean-up time, it adds to something else to do and worry about while fishing. I know the fish is white when bled out... But I don't want to do it just to change the color...

So, my question is, does it change the flavor of the fish? Is the flavor change worth it?

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Matt View Post
    Some of the best guys in here cut their walleye, and some don't. I have no problem with admitting that they are much "whiter" when they are cleaned.

My question is if there is a difference in taste? I am not sure that I want to come up with a system while I am running 16 lines, and bags out each side, 7 other guys on the boat...

Secondly, I don't notice much of an issue while cleaning fish? Everyone talks about how much of a mess it prevents... Seems to me that its a potential mess in the boat (although some of you have system that keep it all in the Lake). When we clean fish though, we clean them, and hose down the table. It takes less than a minute to clean the entire table. I am sure that even if I bleed them out I would still have to hose down and wash the table...

So for me, it definitely doesn't change my clean-up time, it adds to something else to do and worry about while fishing. I know the fish is white when bled out... But I don't want to do it just to change the color...

So, my question is, does it change the flavor of the fish? Is the flavor change worth it?

-Matt
    I think it definitely changes the quality of the meat, like you said the meat is much whiter and that means there is much less blood in the fillet. That in turn means no soaking to remove the blood and no chance for the blood to turn rancid even while on ice in the boat. Not only does it remove the blood it also allows the fish to cool quicker once on ice. Now with that said lets take the example to the extreme, would you rather eat a chicken that had been sufficated to death and left to lay for an hour or two on ice or one that had been cleanly killed by chopping of its head and allowed to bleed out and then thrown on ice for an hour or two. I realize that neither one of the two extreme examples is very appetizing but one is definitely better than the other.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the same thing about venison, you don't want the meat to lay soaked in blood as it makes for a stronger taste. We feel the fish is milder tasting when we bleed them. We also take the time to thinly shave the outer layer where the dark side is just before we prepare to cook them, and it also make a huge difference to the taste.

It doesn't really take much time to cut them so it's not a time concern for me.

waterdog Guest

Default Chicken Lures ~

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    .......Now with that said lets take the example to the extreme, would you rather eat a chicken that had been sufficated to death and left to lay for an hour or two on ice or one that had been cleanly killed by chopping of its head and allowed to bleed out and then thrown on ice for an hour or two. I realize that neither one of the two extreme examples is very appetizing but one is definitely better than the other.
    So what kinda lure did you use for that chicken?
    I am thinking a worm or some corn....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
    I like the humor it fits the post!

But the example that was made related to the fact that suffocation whether it is a fish or a chicken or any type of creature, and suffocation would be the cause of death for any fish just tossed into the cooler on ice and left to die full of blood. That fishes blood not only carries the needed materials to sustain its life it also transports the waste that is generated from that process of sustaining life just like all living creatures. I for one do not want that waste left in any animal that I intend to consume be it a fish or chicken. But you already knew that didn't you.

This post is for those who failed to see the connection between the 2 examples and not intended to agitate you or anyone else for that matter.

Like I said I am still laughing at your response it was a good come back.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gill bleeding

Hey guys, I tried the gill pulling method today and it works great. Thanks for the tip!

waterdog Guest

Default I will be doing the bleeding now~

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    I like the humor it fits the post!

But the example that was made related to the fact that suffocation whether it is a fish or a chicken or any type of creature, and suffocation would be the cause of death for any fish just tossed into the cooler on ice and left to die full of blood. That fishes blood not only carries the needed materials to sustain its life it also transports the waste that is generated from that process of sustaining life just like all living creatures. I for one do not want that waste left in any animal that I intend to consume be it a fish or chicken. But you already knew that didn't you.

This post is for those who failed to see the connection between the 2 examples and not intended to agitate you or anyone else for that matter.

Like I said I am still laughing at your response it was a good come back.
    When I clean them at home it will help with the blood on the cleaning table as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
    I'd go with the corn.....I've heard the worm will attract a lot of trash!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Eyezcrazy;40780]I'd go with the corn.....I've heard the worm will attract a lot of trash![/QUOTE

LOL:

Well it would appear that I have opened a can of worms, be they dew, sour, wiggle or corn borer variety with my original post. In any event I like the humor and it is entertaining so keep it up. Tight lines.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS