Jig season Jig season Jig season Jig season
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jig season

Post Thanks / Like

If this wind does break up the ice and it starts to break up on the south shore due to the water rising under it the whole area along the West Lakeshore Drive could become treacherous. As a youngster and as a teenager I personally saw ice pushed up on old route 2 what is now West Lakeshore Drive so bad that it had to be move with dozers and end loaders so traffic could pass. Never underestimate mother nature.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    If this wind does break up the ice and it starts to break up on the south shore due to the water rising under it the whole area along the West Lakeshore Drive could become treacherous. As a youngster and as a teenager I personally saw ice pushed up on old route 2 what is now West Lakeshore Drive so bad that it had to be move with dozers and end loaders so traffic could pass. Never underestimate mother nature.
    Well, that would suck, because that's the way I go into town. lol

I suppose I could take RT2 in if I have to.

I would like to see the ice mountains...
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

Default Personally

I dont think this wind is going to do anything to the ice . It is still frozen solid across the Western basin all the way to Canada . No room for it to be able to move this year. Earlier we had a few days with gust over 40 mph for the SW and the ice didnt budge . We have had open water East of Kellys pretty much all winter long as this is the norm for Erie .

No one has really seen ice like this since 79 so no one really knows for sure what and when the ice will go bad .

With the rivers having so many ice jams in them , it will restrict the flows out to the lake until some of them are gone . The last warm up we had took like 2-3 weeks before seeing any dirty water that had come out of the rivers due to the ice jam problem in the rivers . Another reason the runoff will not be as bad is the fact that the ground is still frozen .

Dont get me wrong as I love the boating season as well , but think we are looking at a good month to get rid of the ice in both the lake and channels to have enough room to fish out there .

The shore ice will go bad before any of the other ice and air boats will be the only means of fishing at that point for a couple of weeks .

Like I said you never know with this much ice still out there but this is just my thinking .

Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Did this ice breaking actually take place? If so the ice had or has room to move and work!

http://community.walleye.com/showthread.php?t=7413
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we'll see what's what on the next sunny day, when we can see a good satellite pick of the lake, and make our assessments then.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice breaking

it did not as the Maumee Channel is considered a secondary Channel . You can keep up with the Breakers on boatnerd.com

Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Default dont need a picture

3 buddies and I will be out tomorrow to see first hand . Thats the only way .

Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Default newbee

This is my 1st post,but have been reading the forum all winter.Fishin has been exceptional for most this yr,congrads! A lot of debate about takin so many HAWGS! I can see both sides of the conversaion,I guess time will tell. We like to fish just after the spawn,when the EYES are in transition,and getting in on slammin some crappies!!! Anyway I found it interesting seeing the current river conditions on (2014 Maumee river walleye run fishing report) by Dr Walleye. Recent pics of the river,and his report!Loooks like an era of EYE fishin I have never seen b4.I am not a local of Lake Erie,so my opinion is just that.I cannot see this years spawn or run,being one where the fishing is going to be as gr8 as the ice has provided. Good luck to all,have fun and enjoy what the lake provides!!I am so ready to get out on the lake and other spots,to relax and fish!! Thanx to all for the reports(tho I don't ice fish) and mostly enjoyed the pics!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The spawn has to do with three main factors; calendar (season), water temp, and amount of daylight...

Being that we are on daylight savings in Ohio still, they are now getting more daylight on the water because we just turned our clocks ahead 1 hour last week... If we ever go off of daylight savings in Ohio I don't know what that would do to the spawn!

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Default todays ice

Another 3 man limit out of Magee. Ice has not shifted or busted up but is getting very soft. About a foot thick today in 22 ft with about 7 of it being white ice.

Slow and easy is the only way out there right now. Stopped and drilled holes about every 100 yards. Lots of guys still running without a care .Not a wise thing to do this late in the season . More and more guys on foot as well travling lite.

2 of the females today were releasing eggs as well.

Dale