PERCH BATTER MIX What do you guys use? PERCH BATTER MIX What do you guys use? PERCH BATTER MIX What do you guys use? PERCH BATTER MIX What do you guys use?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PERCH BATTER MIX What do you guys use?

I'm Simple I just use McCormicks Wanna try something else. So how do you perpare your PERCH? Post all recipes here for all of us to enjoy this PERCH season. -Captain Dave! LOL

Pics below are a sample teaser from my awesome catch on Wed. Morn!

http://community.walleye.com/showthread.php?t=5213
    Last edited by BLACK PEARL; 09-13-2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added a link
    It's All About the Journey NOT the Destination!!!

"I FIND THE FISH I ALWAYS FIND THE FISH"!!!

1994 Sportcraft Hard top 250 Fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Same way I fry my walleye. Egg wash and dip in Dorsel's self rising white cornmeal with a little salt and pepper to taste. Fry in the skillet of oil and be heppy!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking My favorite

I'll throw this one out for those who want it super easy and crunchy. One sleeve of white crackers + one half sleeve of Ritz. Crush them down somewhere between crumbs and flour, depending on your taste.

Dip fillets in egg/whole milk mixture, then press fillets on each side in the cracker mix.

It's really simple, and I can't tell you how many times the "I don't like fish" folks loved it. It works well on kids, too, because it's not heavily spiced like some other coatings.

We also make our own tartar: Miracle Whip, sweet relish, dash of yellow mustard, lemon zest (very important for a lemon flavor), and a little lemon juice.

Post Thanks / Like

Use an egg wash with a Zattaran powder mixed in. Then bread and fry.
    The breading is a new thing I've been using. Andy's brand. It comes in different spices.
    Ok, now im hungry, guess what I'm having for dinner tomorrow ?
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

Post Thanks / Like

Default ive tried them all

been eating perch for 35 years and ive had them all that i read on here but i did not see drakes batter mix its the best for deep frying and you can use it on anything from making chicken tenders to any veggie quick and easy just add water or beer dip and fry. thats great for bigger fish frys. but when its just me and the family i take saltines put them in the my little grinder crush them to a powder add them to a gallon ziplock then add garlic powder and lawrys seasoned salt to taste. then i coat with flower dip in a egg wash then the cracker crumbs and pan fry in my cast iron skillet. for a tarter sauce we use hellmans, pickle relish, enough mustard to add color, and leamon juice mix to taste dip and eat. i like andys cajun style and ive had golden dip youngs batter mix the batter mix you can only get from butch and dennys. but these 2 i like the best

Post Thanks / Like

I have had most of them on here, lets face it,I just like perch!! However my familys goto recipe is...keebler butter flavor club crackers put them in a processor and make crumbs, add 33% regular flour, add 3/4 cup seasoned italian bread crumbs, add spoonfull mrs Dash, and spoonfull lawrys seasoned salt. Also some garlic salt or other garlic flavoring.
    Use egg wash and roll in mixture, fry with "canola" oil...here the trick is to get the oil hot enough... I start dropping filets at 375 degrees, nothing less and try to maintain this temp. Fish are cooked in just a minute. If any of you watch the cooking shows, you will find many fry to cold..at temps 350 and below the fish absorbs the oil and has an oily taste. At 375 or slightly higher they sear the outside instantly and do not absorb oil. Far less oily taste and the canola oil is much healthier for you ( tastes good also) This is by far the family favorite even for those who don't care for fish....

Airshot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Almost Forgot

Couple more things a chef told me to do in preparing fillets:
    1. If fillets frozen or in fridg, let them sit out to point of getting close to room temp! Especially if using a small fryer, cold fillets drop the temp of the oil - possibly to the point of causing fillets to absorb oil - don't take the chance!
    2. Pat dry the fillets before the coating process begins. Just take most of the water off them.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good breading mixes out there. I love em all !
    Since two back surgeries and a hip replacement, I need to keep my weight down so I try to avoid fried food on a regular basis now.

Here's a link to some great perch recipes:

http://www.all-fish-seafood-recipes....cfm/list/Perch

Some are just too complicated, but most are pretty easy.
    My favorite is the Maryland Perch In Tomato Sauce. It calls for white perch, but the yellows work fine.

My wife also substitutes perch for chicken in her pot pie recipe. Darn good.

Post Thanks / Like

dip em in milk and use half cajun seasoning half progresso italian breadcrumbs, with a dash iof garlic salt. yum yum. or use town house crackers. both are delicious.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kids like the batter....

I like the Panko crumbs mixed with Andy's myself. Depends on if its a big fry or just for the Family though. My kids absolutely love perch, bluegill or thin sliced walleye with Drakes batter. It almost reminds me of the coating that you get a LJS.