Mon 6/25 out of sterling Mon 6/25 out of sterling Mon 6/25 out of sterling Mon 6/25 out of sterling
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mon 6/25 out of sterling

went out of sterling this morning and went up by fermi. 16 to 21 foot of water. drifting south was way too fast at 2.0 to2.5 but out a drift sock and got it down to 1.1 to 1.4 . bottom bouncers from 1 to 2oz with crawler harnesses and inlines. 30 to 35 back. ended up with 11 nice eyes in 3 hours. no monsters but good eaters. thru back around eight 14ish eyes. got one 9 inch perch. oh yeah and a trunk full of sheephead. had a lot of fish hit it and spit it. had to leave to goto work. it sure did get windy and rough. but still a great day.
    saw one other boat out there and he trolled right across in front of me.if i didnt start the motor and put it in reverse i would of ran his boards over.

If i am drifting and he is under power who has the right of way or who should give way?

Post Thanks / Like

you are still under way while drifting.

So my guess is you have to revert to the law of the sea for right of way.

If you are drifting at night what lights would you run,? nav lights or anchor lights....?

Best to you

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Both boats are underway. It's a very good question in my understanding of he law the trolling boat is under power and the drifting boat would be a sail boat(wind powered). Thus giving the drift boat the right of way. But both boats hold responsibility in doing what ever is needed to avoid a collision.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought

If the boat that is under power approaches a power boat that is drifting (no sail visible) that could spell trouble. Skipper9 gives sound advise

Best to all

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

No matter the written rule, there are just some who think they own the water. Had 3 boats ( one a charter boat) who if I didn't completely stop their boards would have hit my boat. Then one of them did a 90 deg turn right infront of me, causing me to stop and bring in all the lines while they set back up. Guess I'm back to have your snips ready and just cut their main line if they are that much of an a hole. It's not like there were any other boats even in the area. I've done that before, guy gave me the finger, ran his board into my boat, I grab the line and sniped it and gave him the one finger salute back. I just have NO tolerance for that kind of stuff when it's not caused by a crowded situation. One time I let it go, but come back and do it again, I'm ready for battle!
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

The hole deal with him crossing right in front of me really ticks me off. That was the only other boat i saw all day. except for at the launch. either way if i was drifting or motoring i would of had the right of way according to the sea law. next time ill be with ebijack and start cutting lines. And maybe take some free inline planers and tackle!

The way i see it is that they saw us catching some fish and wanted a piece of the action.

Post Thanks / Like

there are lots of ppl out there that do not give the right the right of way or have the proper lighting so ppl can see where or what they are. Friday night coming back in with skipper 9 we were passing south of kelleys, it was dark but not pitch black, someehere about 10ish if i recall. Jim asked me if i saw a boat out there. it was on his radar but nothing be seen at all, no lights nothing. 2 other ppl caould not spot it. finaly we had to come to quick dead stop it was the ferrys, almost no lights and we had the right of way. i dont see how or why something that large doesnt have enough lights to be seen from a good distance....not having to be right on it to see it

Post Thanks / Like

In all the years of fishing down there, I have NEVER see a ferry give way to any boat no matter the size.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.