Quote Originally Posted by rick2752 View Post
Thinking of bringing my 8yr old up for some head boat fishing on the friday before easter. How do the headboats work? Do they set up over perch and your on your own or do they drift for walleye? Never been on one always a 6 man charter but cant swing the cost for just my son and I. Any input would be appreciated. Anyone recommend a good port clinton or near there head boat? Im driving from Cincinnati also.
Those big boats are a whole new deal for people on the water. Big boats sway in the wave. This creates the sea sick thing . Those boats dont go in if somebody gets sick. I run a regular 6 person, 30ft Sportcraft and its alot different in the waves than a 50 ft. No heated area either. They have a roof on them is all. I supply all gear on my charters, all you need is a cooler to take fish home.Ya know for this time of year, the bite is hit or miss. Ya if the hit one day and you hear the report, it may be better or almost nothing the next day.
My suggestion for an 8 year old is a perch trip on Erie in late summer.
The ocean trip, if thats over summer it may be ok. As a Navy vet , the ocean has its own mind and the Cape Hatteras can be a rough one also.
Give me a shout if you would like an talk more on Erie.