New Law New Law New Law New Law
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New Law

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gethooked27 View Post
    I'am new on the site as far as posting. I've been reading post for years and I thank all folks out here. I've been fishing this great lake since Ive been 8 yr old and now 46 yr old. I am from west side of Indy Indiana, in the summer I drive 268 miles one way, sometime twice a month go fishing on my boat. My wife and I, say on the boat 1 to 3 night while we fish. Ohio is making this very hard for people to fish and enjoy what this great sport is all about.The law that this States and along with other states as well keep come up with, is just be on crazy. This is america, is everthing about money and taking peoples rights away. Is Ohio, not what folks from out of state to fish .Come on you can'nt camp now with out labling your fish bags and lable it. People have to wonder all the time, if thing are done just perfict to the law or they might get a ticket. I just can't beleave that you have to know that much of the law about everthing right down the T MAKE SURE YOUR NOT TICKITED.Iam all for doing the right thing, and the bag limit. There alot of other things that big companys do to this great body of water and there permit they pay for to pollute the wate into this waters. And then keep coming after the little guy. Thanks for everyones time good luck and be safe on the big pond.
    One thing you could do to remain legal without question would be to have your fish filleted at the fish cleaners and have them hold them in their cooler/Refrigerator until you are ready to leave. It would be a small added expence but maybe worth it for the piece of mind by not having those fillets in your posession and having to explain to the officer when you caught them, if you are checked.

I don't know if it's about taking peoples rights away or not. But it isn't right that people can go out and over bag, go out and get limits 2 or 3 limits or more in one day and then only be ticketed for 5 or 6 fish if they are caught, simply because the other fish cannot be identified that they have in their possession, freezer/Refrigerator/coolers. That is why the law was changed so if you don't like the law maybe we should all blame those unethical people who forced this change on us! It makes no difference if they are residents or nonresidents they are still unethical and both do it.

On the other hand you have people saying that fishermen should not keep females that are full of eggs. My thoughts on that are that if you have legally caught a fish you should do with that fish what you want! If your conscience and convictions says to you release it, then you should by all means release that fish, but if you want to keep that fish and you have caught it in a legal manner then by all means keep it. Please don't let someone elses opinion decide for you what you should do with your legally caught fish, after all, it is only an opinion and not a law.
    Last edited by wakina; 03-18-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

I am from Michigan and was planning on heading down to Oak Harbor this week with 4 other guys but after reading this post I think we will just keep our money here in Michigan and fish the Detroit river. I enjoy fishing the reefs but there is no way I am leaving the scales and skin on my fish for 2 or 3 days. I guess I am too picky as to how my fish is taken care, but this is unacceptable. Any fishing in Ohio waters from now on will be with the boat launched in Michigan waters where we can properly clean and package our fish when we return to shore.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Greed

As I sit here and read these posts, I can see two different views of this whole situation. The first thing is the need for some people to be greedy and over limit time after time (and more than likely these individuals are repeat offenders). Unfortunatley, it is these few people who have brought the ODNR to enforce these limitations for the future of the lakes and our children. On the other hand, the whole country is broke and in crisis. Therefore, so is the Fish Commission and ODNR. This then results in everyone having to be checked at the dock, and pay petty fines to keep bringing in funds for ODNR and the Fish Commission. Why is it that the law abiding citizens ALWAYS have to pay for the ignorance and greed of others.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so let me get this straight, I want to make sure I'm 100% clear understanding this.

I can limit out, drive home, fillet my fish (and when I fillet them, I also skin them). No problem.

However, say I camp at East Harbor or Kelley's for a week. Fish every day. Typically at the end of every day, I'd fillet the day's catch. And again, when I fillet, I also skin them.

With the new regs, I have to leave the skins on them until I get home? So then I'd have a week's work of fillets to skin?

If I'm understanding correctly, I don't understand how in the hell that helps them determine that I only took my bag limit. SO I have my limit of 30 YP, aka 60 fillets. What does it matter whether I have 60 fillets with skins on, or 60 fillets without skins? 60 fillets is 60 fillets is it not??

It is jsut another source of revenue, and not the solution to the problem of people taking more than their TAC. As everyone said, put ODNR at the ramps and check guys coming in. That would be the most effective way.
    Last edited by freddie; 03-19-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by freddie View Post
    Ok, so let me get this straight, I want to make sure I'm 100% clear understanding this.

I can limit out, drive home, fillet my fish (and when I fillet them, I also skin them). No problem.

However, say I camp at East Harbor or Kelley's for a week. Fish every day. Typically at the end of every day, I'd fillet the day's catch. And again, when I fillet, I also skin them.

With the new regs, I have to leave the skins on them until I get home? So then I'd have a week's work of fillets to skin?

If I'm understanding correctly, I don't understand how in the hell that helps them determine that I only took my bag limit. SO I have my limit of 30 YP, aka 60 fillets. What does it matter whether I have 60 fillets with skins on, or 60 fillets without skins? 60 fillets is 60 fillets is it not??

It is jsut another source of revenue, and not the solution to the problem of people taking more than their TAC. As everyone said, put ODNR at the ramps and check guys coming in. That would be the most effective way.
    The part that makes the difference in mainly with the walleye. Most guys fillet the fish, skin them, and then chunk up into smaller pieces before bagging. In that case the ODNR has no way of accurately counting fillets.

I'm not agreeing with it either. It's a real paim in the rear for those of us who camp for 3 to 5 days at a time and then have to come home and finish the cleaning process.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Freddie. It seems like the only fishermen it hurts are the legal ones that follow the law. This does nothing to the so-called fisherman that take as many eyes as they can illegally. Stupid uneeded laws again.

Post Thanks / Like

Its just like gun control. They do nothing to actually stop the problem, they just make it tougher for us good guys to be law abiding, and to entrap us. These laws do nothing to actually curb the problem.

I understand chunking up fillets creating a problem in making accurate counts. If that's the case, just require whole fillets and not chunks. I know I don't chunk up fillets until we're ready to cook them.

The whole skin thing really peeves me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down odnr

Quote Originally Posted by CW 186 View Post
    New way to get some money from people.
    We got delayed for about 20 minutes sat. morning at turtle creek. game warden had to run all of our drivers licenses. not sure for what but when he came back to the vehicle he started giving my buddy a bunch of crap. Kept asking if he had anything illegal on him and started checking around inside my jeep. we werent doing anything wrong. just trying to go fishn. they did the same thing to me last deer season at kokosing wildlife area. it was the third day of gun season and after checking my tags and gun he then made me take him to my vehicle. he was all suspicious cuz i told him i hadnt gotten a deer yet. so he looked all over my jeep for blood i guess and then looked all dissapointed when he found nothing. game wardens are out to write tickets...period.

Post Thanks / Like

Chillin, thats sad. If they would put the effort in harrasing the folks that need it instead of wasting time on people that dont we all would be better off.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm totally into saftey checks and license checks but after that if all is cool just leave me be. I'm not breaking any laws!!!