I have been out jigging for 3 weeks now and have seen a trend that I thought appropriate to share. The best bite is between 6AM and 8AM. This means ya need to get your shiners the evening before. Most bait stores open at 7. By the time ya buy bait, launch, and run you'll catch the end of the big bite. You'll also see fellas cleaning thier limits while your launching. Another trend is the fellas with electric trolling motors are staying on the active schools and killing them. If ya dont have an electric be prepared to do short quick drifts. Mark your active school and quickly get back on them when ya drift off. Color trends are changing with water clarity improving. Purple and Black Hair jigs still produce, but we found sticking a white twister tail seemed to help. Learned that one by my buddy beating me 7-3. Of course I was the Sheepshead King that day. Strange to catch them jigging. I've been on the same boat for 21 years and cant remember catching this many sheepshead, but on a high note I did catch a smallmouth also.
The bay is also ready to go. It has cleaned up tremendously is the last week or so. I can see my cavitation plate now.