Looking for some help Looking for some help Looking for some help Looking for some help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a real nice hand held gps which i have used in the central erie on my grandfathers boat. so should i invest the money in a combo. that might be tough to convice the old lady to let me get that one after getting the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Smile He said---She heard

Sell her on the safety features. I personally would go with the combo. It's awesome. I do figure 8's trolling off the marks and its way too much fun arguing with my buddies as to where we actually caught them. Plus it's easier on you operating the boat. Price wise it's not as bad a it was a couple years ago. It's all part of the game

Post Thanks / Like

It is borderline irresponsible to NOT have a mapping GPS on Erie. Old school hand helds take you in a straight line from A. to B. There could be a shallow reef between where you are and where you want to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to absolutely agree with everyone regarding a chart plotter. A mapping GPS, although not 100% required, does increase safety 10 fold over a standard GPS. My first year with my "new to me boat" I got by with just the GPS/sonar unit that was already installed on the boat. After nearly tearing my rudder off, and nearly getting stuck on a sand bar going into west harbor, I decided the GPS chart plotter was a wise investment. Although you can see chanel markers ahead of you might not actually be in that channel. this holds true for around the islands. The channel markers around ballast island can be quite confusing without the chart plotter.

Post Thanks / Like

guess i will have to save up for one of them i have been looking at the prices online. thanks for the advice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bocajemma View Post
    I have to absolutely agree with everyone regarding a chart plotter. A mapping GPS, although not 100% required, does increase safety 10 fold over a standard GPS. My first year with my "new to me boat" I got by with just the GPS/sonar unit that was already installed on the boat. After nearly tearing my rudder off, and nearly getting stuck on a sand bar going into west harbor, I decided the GPS chart plotter was a wise investment. Although you can see chanel markers ahead of you might not actually be in that channel. this holds true for around the islands. The channel markers around ballast island can be quite confusing without the chart plotter.
    Excellent post bocajemma! The same can be said about Lucy's Point, Gull Island Shoal, Kelly's Shoal, Sunrise Point, Short Reef and Crib Reef as they all have a dangerous spot or two that will eat your outdrive or worse. A GPS with a Hot Maps card makes for much safer boating in those areas.

Post Thanks / Like

well my old lady bought me one as a surprise. she got me a humminbird and it is a combo with the lake maps and plotter so i am pretty happy i will be up port clinton probably the 3rd weekend in may and going to try to put some fish on land. thanks for all the advice so far i really appriciate all of the help yenz have been supplying