Trolling Set-up Trolling Set-up Trolling Set-up Trolling Set-up
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trolling Set-up

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Set-up

Last year was my first year to have my own boat at Erie. I pretty much got everything set up for trolling, but with spoons only. I would like to get set up for pulling lil ripper plugs but not really sure the correct way to use them or what series to buy. Do you use jet divers in unisant or just depend on running depth of plug & your boat speed?
    I also got a question on spoons. Do most people attach a split ring to the spoon before uning a swivel?

ESC

Post Thanks / Like

For using spoons ( Mich. Stingers ), use a clip to attach the spoon through the hole in the spoon. Use a flourocarbon line for a leader to the diver. About 6 ft.
    You will need a trolling bag or two to slow ya down. For crankbaits, Rapala husky jerks and tail dancers, reef runners 600 and 800. Get some that rattle and some that do not. Buy the trollers bible to figure your line out to know your lure depth. Start with a couple lines out each side and keep them spread apart. You can also add a dipsey or two on each side. Attach a spoon to one and a non diver stickbait on the other. J 7's are also a good bait behind jets. Trolling speeds start slow in spring such as 1.2 and speed up to 2.7 as the max.You have to play with the troll bags and see what speeds you can get down to. Dont forget to try pulling worm harnesses mid spring early summer, just stay slow with worms.
    Capt. Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling with worn harnesses

I use worm harnesses (which I make) most of the time. I have found out that harnesses produce more fish than artifical lures. I use boards with in line weights. I usuall troll at .5 mph. Email me if you want to.

furlough Guest

If you are using snaps on your crank baits make sure the latch side is up. If the latch side is down on your crank baits it will rub on the bill and they won't run true.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling

Pick up the Precision Trolling Guide Book. Best $20 ya ever spent. goes into detail specific lures, how far back, what depth the bait will troll at, etc. Great book. I have one. Make sure ya get the walleye book. they also have a salmon version