2011 Limits 2011 Limits 2011 Limits 2011 Limits
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2011 Limits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Dude View Post
    They don't care, have reported several people for this, and they say it doesn't hurt. I have seen the fishery go down in the last 20 years.
    Tell that to those who get caught double and triple tripping out of Turtle Creek and Wild Wings each spring just to name 2 of the areas/marina's they watch each spring. The Wardens that I have had contact with take their job very seriously, most often asking if I/WE have observed any possible violations of bag limits, and that is as it should be. If in the future you observe over bagging violations and a Warden makes that statement about it does'nt hurt then by all means turn in that Warden at the TIP hotline, get his name and/or badge number if possible, car or boat number anything that can be used to identify the Warden in question, as well as the place, date and time of day reported to him/her and file a formal complaint. Those are our fish he/she is talking about and it needs to be stopped.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Odnr

Personally, I feel that ODNR does a pretty good job managing the Lake Erie fishery. I have to believe that they appropriately study the various species and apply scientific formulas for deciding regulations. As a new fisherman to the Ohio side of Lake Erie, seeing ODNR at the boat ramps from Fenwick to Huron was amazing. I think they do a pretty good job considering the resources and budget that they have to work with. Whatever ODNR sets catch limits at, I think we need to trust that they know the fishery better than anybody. Beyond abiding by the law, fisherman can choose their own limits based on individual values, and respect that those values vary from person to person.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peleebound View Post
    Personally, I feel that ODNR does a pretty good job managing the Lake Erie fishery. I have to believe that they appropriately study the various species and apply scientific formulas for deciding regulations. As a new fisherman to the Ohio side of Lake Erie, seeing ODNR at the boat ramps from Fenwick to Huron was amazing. I think they do a pretty good job considering the resources and budget that they have to work with. Whatever ODNR sets catch limits at, I think we need to trust that they know the fishery better than anybody. Beyond abiding by the law, fisherman can choose their own limits based on individual values, and respect that those values vary from person to person.

To agree with you I also believe the ODNR does one heck of a job with the resources they have to work with especially the enforcement of laws and the management of the fishery, not to mention our four legged and winged wildlife they also manage with some Wardens pulling double and triple duty. Most people forget that their jobs are multi functional. On top of that they all seem to be very dedicated to their work.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile The X Factor

In my humble opinion. Every time you go in a restuarant and see Canadian Walleye on the menu? Where in Canada do ya think it came from??? LAKE ERIE via a gill net. I watch the gill netters and you want sickening. Get ready to PUK!

Post Thanks / Like

The way I understand it. The ODNR for the most part blames the low hatch rates on the winds and currents.. They have an area they call the hatchery. If the baby walleye get blown out away from that area they will die.. It is neat to watch a lectur by the ODNR on hatch rates. They show a good hatch about every 10 years or so and two moderate hatches in the middle.. We are definatly due..

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Info

Here is a little more information about how much our ODNR cares about our walleye population and what they are doing to find out more in the mystery of walleye hatch vs. fry survial.

http://www.fondriest.com/news/lake-e...leye-hatch.htm

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Walleye Spawn

Seems every year the same 'ole debates crop up.

Not enough walleye. Too many little walleye. The limit is too low. The limit is too high. The Canadians are taking all the walleye. ODNR Fishieries doesn't know what they are doing. Etc., etc., etc.

It is a HUGE Lake and Lake System. The entire Great Lakes, especially Lake Erie, have gone through drastic changes over the last 180 or so years. The system is still in a state of flux, as change continues. It is a big job with very limited resources to track, study, and develop methods to predict and manage the Lake Erie fishery. Our fisheries people are the professionals. They know what they are doing, and do it well. You either trust them or you don't.

Lake Erie does not remain constant. The fishery does not remain constant. It will do what it will do and there isn't a lot we can do about it in the short term.

Think of fishing methods. Do we use the same fishing methods / lures we used 20 years ago?

Enjoy the resource responsibly and remember every year is going to be different.

West