Looking for tutor Looking for tutor Looking for tutor Looking for tutor
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for tutor

I am fairly new to Lake Erie fishing and was hoping someone out there would be willing to take a newbie out and show him the tricks and tips. I am interested in learning the harness (casting and drifting) techniques. I will pay for gas, bait and extra for your time. Don't really want to pay charter prices because I am looking for a one-on-one learning experience. I know this may sound corny, but I just don't want to waste a few years learning the hard way. Been reading the threads here for a while now and seems like a great group of guys for the most part. Seems like I could learn alot from you all. Thanks for your patience!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wacker knows best

peleebound, no need to pay for a tutor. You have been lucky enough to find a site that has it's own expert. His name is the Wacker. Give him 5 minutes and he will tell you everything there is to know about fishing. Of course, 4 1/2 minutes of that conversation will be him bragging about his conquests and the other 30 seconds will be pure bullsh*t. So just read his posts and do the exact opposite. You should be catchin fish in no time!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paul Hahn

That's funny ****...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just another ******* in the works.

Here is a guy asking for the locals help,and that's the answer he gets. Know wonder after the walleyes move east your area turns into a ghosttown. Why can't a simple answer be applied.

PAP

waterdog Guest

Default ~how to learn~

Before I decided to purchase my boat, I spent $35 + bait and ice~ snacks for about 10 trips on the walk on charters in Port Clinton. A good way to get familar with the drifting tactics used on Lake Erie. It is a great way to get to know people and also what the charter captains recommend. Like life.... fishin is the same... you learn by others and trial and error.. and sometimes just plain luck. Anyways.... today I caught a 27" inch walleye... my biggest ever! On a worm harness in 20 fow just north of stave reef. Using a gold and sliver blade.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I sent you a email with my cell.. Get ahold of me and I will help you out.. Nice eye.. Biggest today was 26.5 inches and a 14.25 inch perch.. Please let the wind blow... Its too darn flat... Sorry day on the lake today...
    Oh Well... better days to come..

Post Thanks / Like

Talking learning to fish erie

Peleebound - If you don't get someone inviting you out on their boat - and they may not because they don't know you - best advice of the threads here were to hook up with a charter. At least a walk-on, which is cheaper thant the rest. I also see some where they don't fill up they advertise on here for pretty cheap to fill out the boat.

Even still, it's tough to learn all the tactics in a single trip. It's kind of like trying to learn to deer hunt in 1 trip and from internet postings. Nothing replaces time spent on the water, learning the ins and outs for yourself.

What works one day, may not work next trip, which is why a charter only helps so far. If you're talking bouncers and harnesses drifting, I don't think you can have too many harness lengths, blade colors and sizes. Change them around until you find what works that day. One day it's big blades and dark colors; next day it could be small blades and flash. 3 foot leaders today; 5 footers tomorrow.

Erie is a fickle beast. Windy days are generally better for drifting than the calmer days. We've done well on days when there are 4 to 6 footers out there. On calmer days, you probably need to troll.

Go back on old threads here and you can learn a lot. Big picture, what worked last year is probably still working this year, depending on the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks guys

I appreciate everybody's input...even the bit of humor. I felt awkward asking the way I did but I really want to get in on the fun and with gas prices the way they are and a two hour drive...I just get tired of wasting my time. I know its me more than the fish and I'm anxious to learn. I did get out during the jig bite and did pretty good for a first timer. Nothin to brag about though. Anyway, thanks for the advice guys!