Heading out to lake erie saturday from IL Heading out to lake erie saturday from IL Heading out to lake erie saturday from IL Heading out to lake erie saturday from IL
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Bigfishhead...........sorry to hear about your bad luck with the boat. It sounds like you still managed to catch some fish and enjoy the lake. It might have been hot and humid but that sure beats rain and storms.

I can't believe you throw back all of your walleye, that would be hard for me to do, we just love them in golden dip batter.....emmm emmm.

Enjoyed your photos, thanks for posting!

bigfishead Guest

Default like the rain better

Well the first day it was cloudy and some drizzle and that was my best day. I should have taken my umbrellas for shade, but I didn't think it would be so calm.

We have a lot of walleye here in the mississippi river if I want to eat any. I do throw most of those back too, but sometimes I will keep a few small ones to eat. There is so much fishing pressure these days that it helps to throw some back. I keep a video camera running a lot of times so that makes it easy to release the big ones. I keep a digital camera too of course.

BTW I was born in ohio and have a lot of relatives that live there that I never see. I bet guys hate fisherman coming from other states so thought I'd throw that in. lol.

bigfishead Guest

Default video

Here's what I do with the video, this was last year's spring trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I don't hate fisherman who come here from out of state, they still bring money to our area. I did hate the commercial netters in our waters. I never understood how they could limit sport fisherman to a 4 fish limit in the spring while the netters took millions of pounds. Sport fisherman and charter boats are the life of the Western basin.

bigfishead Guest

Default commercial boats

The netters always bugged me too. I didn't see them out this year, do they still do that?

I guide out some here on the mississippi river and I always ask they they want to release all the fish. But we have a slot limit that makes it hard to catch a keeper anyway. We have to throw back all fish between 20-27" and we are allowed to keep one fish over 27". So we can only keep fish between 15-20". The river really gets a lot of pressure anymore and they even close the dam areas in the winter now because of it. Having said that I caught more big fish yesterday than I did at lake erie on any given day this year, one 28" and two 27".