Who eats sheepshead? Who eats sheepshead? Who eats sheepshead? Who eats sheepshead?
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who eats sheepshead?

My buddy says I'm fishing too deep if I'm catching a lot of sheepshead.
    I think "sheepshead" are are actually freshwater drum since real sheepshead are a saltwater species.
    Well I'm not ashamed to say I love them. They put up a better fight than walleye, and they seem to yield more meat.
    We fillet them, sprinkle with salt, pepper and rosemary, and bake at 350. We bake them a little more well done than we would other species. They have almost no fish taste so my wife doesn't mind them, and they don't have the bottom-feeder dirt taste like a catfish. The flesh is firm. If you close your eyes, you think you're chewing on a chicken breast.

Are Freshwater Drum Good To Eat? You May Be Surprised! • Panfish Nation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Who eats sheepshead?

That is funny you say that because a guy at work showed me a picture of several fish he caught in Lake Michigan and they were all Drum, I ask if he ate them and he said yes they are delicious. I have never tried them

Post Thanks / Like

I have ate them before. The 15-18" fish aren't too shabby. They get soft n nasty if you freeze them.

Post Thanks / Like

Only the smaller ones. When you fillet them stay away from the skin a 1/4” or so. They have a layer of fat that if you leave on the skin makes them taste better. Of course if you’re frying them what’s the difference!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry gb1234
    PSAF - Forever Chemicals
    Lake Erie - Freshwater Drum - 40,000 PFAS, 5,000 - Catfish, 11,380 - Perch !!!
    I love to fish, I love Lake Erie - I catch fish, I gently release them and say thank you.
    Toxic bombs..
    Not their fault, IT'S all on us..
    Go Blue

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to reply to this post. I know a few others who read the posts here know more about this than I do. I don’t expect them to comment, for reasons they know and I respect.
    This is a fishing report forum.

On this forum, if you are going to post scientific information, include your source.

“Lake Erie - Freshwater Drum - 40,000 PFAS, 5,000 - Catfish, 11,380 - Perch !!!”

Where did that come from?

Fish eating consumption advisories are posted by State Agencies. Look them up.

Freshwater Drum, usually called sheepshead around Ohio, may not be as tasty as walleye or yellow perch, but they are certainly edible. Freshness and cooking determine how well they taste to any individual person. If you want to find out, pretty easy. Next time you catch a decent size one (say 12-14 inches) toss it in the cooler with the walleye. Clean it, keep it separate from the walleye and prep / cook next time you serve walleye. Judge for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

You bring up an excellent point. I found two sources for Lake Erie...

https://www.michigan.gov/-/media/Pro...974fa2e720154f

Experience

Freshwater Drum - Ohio EPA says 1 meal per month is safe. Michigan HHS says 2 meals per year are safe assuming you're not pregnant, diabetic or have cancer.

Walleye - Ohio has no restrictions. Michigan says 6 meals per year are safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Who eats sheepshead?

Quote Originally Posted by gb1234 View Post
    Mike,

You bring up an excellent point. I found two sources for Lake Erie...

https://www.michigan.gov/-/media/Pro...974fa2e720154f

Experience

Freshwater Drum - Ohio EPA says 1 meal per month is safe. Michigan HHS says 2 meals per year are safe assuming you're not pregnant, diabetic or have cancer.

Walleye - Ohio has no restrictions. Michigan says 6 meals per year are safe.
    OMG!!!! I really should be dead by now