Drifting Canada Drifting Canada Drifting Canada Drifting Canada

Thread: Drifting Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drifting Canada

The past five years I’ve been on charter boats that fish Canada in May and June and do great. We drifted harnesses and I really am not interested in trolling.

I’ve got my own money money pit now and I am looking for Intel on fishing in Canada. Is this a simple case of the grass is greener over the line?

I’ve got 2 little boys and want the initial experience in the Basin to be positive….
    Last edited by nickpaolini81; 05-11-2024 at 07:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Drifting Canada

I don't know where to find the fish consistently, but I have 4 boys (and 7 girls). For a positive experience, call it a boat ride instead of a fishing trip. Then any fish will just be icing on the cake.
    And take LOTS of snacks and drinks. And a toilet. Get them their own sunglasses (cheap, because they will inevitably be dropped in the lake). Pack jackets for them in case they get cold. Bring sunscreen and use it. Let them steer the boat. Let them lose some fish while netting and don't get mad.

Post Thanks / Like

We do venture over the line and fish Canadian waters.We have our licences already.We usually start heading up there near end of May.Did see quite a few charters casting both east and west of Pelee.A couple rules unique to Canadian waters is only 2 rods per person when fishing and no alcohol consumption allowed.Not even an empty beer can in the trash.The waters around pelee don't get as muddy after a big blow either due to the numerous limestone reefs.And pelee point and pelee island block alot of NE waves.No passport is needed as long as you don't go on shore.And be careful of shallow waters where you can hit bottom around Pelee.

Post Thanks / Like

I second everything gb1234 said.
    I normally fish with part or all of my family (wife, 7 sons, 2 daughters). If you do not have experience being captain on Erie, I would recommend starting around the islands and venturing farther out as you acquire experience. Variables abound and passengers, mechanical devices, equipment and weather all effect how viable it is to fish Canada.
    Can the fishing be good? - YES
    Does the grass look “greener” ? - On fair water days in summer.
    Does my family enjoy fighting rough water an hour in any direction for the chance to catch walleye? - No

There have been times that I pushed harder than my passenger desired, and was left without anyone wanting to go fishing for a while.
    If you desire to spend time with your boys, be aware of the parts they enjoy.

I have found myself seining minnows to go perch fishing, chasing gulls to fish white bass, popsicles on Kelley’s, bass fishing near island docks, swimming wherever we limit out, hauling kayaks so the boys can fish somewhere I refuse to take the boat, stopping early so there is time to bow/blowgun fish.
    As a father, I would recommend investing time with them outdoors somewhere/anywhere.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

Canada can and is a good alternative to the US side, but it's not necessary to go that far in May or June. Plenty of walleye on this side. Yes, some charters do go over the line starting in mid to late June, but that requires licenses for the customers, etc. Generally speaking, no reason to go over there until July unless you want to get the license and yes a little better fishing on some days. It's always the same - first you have to find the fish, then find the active ones, then what they want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gb1234 View Post
    I don't know where to find the fish consistently, but I have 4 boys (and 7 girls). For a positive experience, call it a boat ride instead of a fishing trip. Then any fish will just be icing on the cake.
    And take LOTS of snacks and drinks. And a toilet. Get them their own sunglasses (cheap, because they will inevitably be dropped in the lake). Pack jackets for them in case they get cold. Bring sunscreen and use it. Let them steer the boat. Let them lose some fish while netting and don't get mad.
    11??? Goodness. Have you figured out what is causing that yet?

Glad you are getting them outdoors. Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to known where to go on the Canada side. get to he US line early and watch for the charters but show some class and don't fish on top of them. Try are trying to make a living. starting around the end of July trolling seems to be the best bet for catching or hit the reefs just before daylight.