Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
I have been doing that for years and it works great. I use the black medium tension clips on the front of my boards and put the line about halfway in. Never had one break off and I use 15# test big game green. The key (IMO) is to grab the rod, hold the spool and give it a quick "buggy whip" as soon as you grab the rod. It should pop right out and then wait a few seconds for it to drop back before you start reeling.

My regular fishing partner loves the Sam's pro releases, and they work great as well. I will say, do not use the cheap red ones, as those suck, big time! The black plastic is hard and slippery on those and they are hard to keep the line wrapped. If you use the real black ones, you will be fine. Just takes a minute to get the tension right and then you are good.

One more tip, I switched all my rear releases to the Bluewater tackle releases and they are great. They are similar to the red Off-shore clips, but they have an aluminum pin in the middle that won't wear out and it is easier to remove when you have a fish.
Yes, I know how to pop the line. I do it the same way.

Just moving the spring in the OR-19s (orange releases that come with the boards), to the middle position, reduces the tension, making it easier to release the line. The further forward it is, the more tension there is, so moving it back releases some tension. I hadn't done that on my first try with them, when I was using the Sunline. I could keep using the Sunline, now that I know that, but I've already swapped out line on all the reels, so I'll keep using the Big Game for now. I still might switch back, eventually, because I do like the Sunline better...the line diameter is much closer to the PTD line used in their data, too.

As for the rear release...I like the Snapper (OR-18), because on cold days, when the hands are really cold, it's so much easier to press the lever up with my thumb, than to squeeze a release. It also has the ability for me to adjust the tension, if needed. And, it's easier for my customers...many, for some reason, can't get the line behind the pin, but don't tell me until I notice it. I can't have that happening when the line is released from the front arm. I don't want to be chasing boards.

Also, on a side note...I'm the Director of the Off Shore Tackle Pro Staff, for Ohio, so I don't think they would approve of me using someone else's releases on the boards.