Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigging

Has anyone start to jig for some walleye yet

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jigging

I guess it is too early to jig but I think the majority of people on this forum are charter captains and probably pull cranks instead of jigging

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a Pro at the fishing Expo. Went to his seminar on LE walleye fishing (also last year). He almost always jig fishes, year round. Fishes the Detroit River as much as LE. He said he catches walleye in LE jigging year around, rarely fishies any other way. And not just on the shallow reefs. Mind you this guy is an expert at it. You can start jig fishing now, and you don't have to restrict yourself to the reefs. What the heck, give it a try, with various jigging baits. Get the jig at the water depth the fish are at, and see if you can figure out what they want.

Another seminar I saw a video of the presenter catching a LE walleye with a jig, offshore out in open water, on his sonar. You could watch the walleye come up and take the jig. And... the fish was not on the bottom, it was suspended.

So there you go.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am going out tomorrow and try pulling some bandits and then I am going to jig early Sunday morning

Post Thanks / Like

This post lathers me up. I'd imagine if the jig is where the Walleye are it should work. My buddy and I plan on hitting DR in the next couple weeks. Hopefully Erie soon after that. So Hello Cone and Locust here I come baby. We were two limits for 2 (3 man and 2 man) last spring. The second time I went with another friend in the evening, fishing by 6 PM. They were in there thick! That's when I deployed a tactic I read about on this forum. I kept loosing them on the upwind side of boat so I switched to the downwind side. I hooked them then. Had to stay low and let them swim out from under boat and not "horse them out" as my daddy use to say. Ugh, I lost 3 that way. SMH lolol

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you do well in the DR, I will post Monday to let you know how I do. I will be staying at Turtle Point Marina the second week in April. We hit them big last year at that time. We only caught three jigging so we tried trolling for the first time we ended up with a four person limit and it was a blast. My wife was being the captain and my grandson and I was reeling them in as my granddaughter enjoyed the ride.