Looking for advice on areas to walleye sailing out of Ashtabula Looking for advice on areas to walleye sailing out of Ashtabula Looking for advice on areas to walleye sailing out of Ashtabula Looking for advice on areas to walleye sailing out of Ashtabula
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for advice on areas to walleye sailing out of Ashtabula

Markle, I may be there labor day weekend also if the winds allow. Budman just posted on the Central Basin site that he's still catching great fish over that way! I lost my texting history but I do have your cell #. If we both end up there at the same time we can compare notes?

Post Thanks / Like

Also, if you use 3 oz snap weights and Bandits you'll get down where you need to be. 50 feet to snap then an additional 80 to 150 feet out was working for me. 130-150 total when is was in 70-72 FOW. I went more at 150-200 feet out when I was fishing 74-76 FOW. Wund.forecast is improving for this weekend!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent information. Praying the wind will be in our favor. If not, the wife has apparently come up with all kinds of things to do that don't involve fishing (UGH). I did check out the Central Basin forum. Glad to see some more current posts. I will be up there on Sunday. My cell 513-518-1237 in case someone is up there and has more information. I appreciate all of the help that I can get. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markle View Post
    Excellent information. Praying the wind will be in our favor. If not, the wife has apparently come up with all kinds of things to do that don't involve fishing (UGH). I did check out the Central Basin forum. Glad to see some more current posts. I will be up there on Sunday. My cell 513-518-1237 in case someone is up there and has more information. I appreciate all of the help that I can get. Thanks
    there is very little to no cell service when you get out past the N04 line. your phone will say SOS in the service bar strength. its better to pick a channel on the VHF ahead of time and communicate that way. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after getting much needed advise from several folks on this forum, the wife and I went out to the N42.02 straight North out of Geneva and started trolling 2.5mph NNE towards the 42.06 line. We immediately started marking fish almost at the bottom. We struggled getting down to that 65-70' depth on Tuesday with 4oz weights and 225' of line. We caught a few and then had some trolling motor issues. Wrapped it up and went to the bait shop and bought 5 and 6 oz weights for Wednesday. Oh yea, that got us where we needed to be. In a short time on Wednesday, we hauled in some hogs. 5oz weights at 50' and then another 250-280' of line put us right where we needed to be. It was non stop for the wife and I. The wife struggled reeling in the big ones at those distances. We blew up one cheap bass pro reel. No more of those things for me. Had a hard stop at noon to head back to Cincinnati. I want to thank everyone for their advice. Especially DW72 for texting me and allowing me to tap into his fountain of knowledge. Looking for advice on areas to walleye sailing out of Ashtabula-erie-sept-20232-jpg