Line counter reels Line counter reels Line counter reels Line counter reels
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Line counter reels

Thanks Sherman. I'm going to research all of those models. Hey, I posted another question but got a little long winded. How soon can we catch them on crankbaits? I'm sure early April. Perhaps even March if good weather? Thanks again for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DW72 View Post
    How soon can we catch them on crankbaits?
    Now. Is that early enough for you?
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DW72 View Post
    Thanks Sherman. I'm going to research all of those models. Hey, I posted another question but got a little long winded. How soon can we catch them on crankbaits? I'm sure early April. Perhaps even March if good weather? Thanks again for the info.
    the earliest I've fished on the western basin was the 1st week in May. we just trolled the deeper waters around the reefs. but I guess you might even catch them earlier. if I was going up that early I would plan on giving the reefs a try with heavy jigs and live minnows. then if I wasn't doing good after a while I would switch to cranks and troll them very slow maybe 1.5 or less depending on what they wanted. another thing about jigging you want to get a couple of bags to slow you down. but instead of getting drift bags I would get a set of good trolling bags that way you could also use them for trolling to get your speed down. trolling bags are made much better than drift bags and trolling bags have a place on the back end to tie it off to your boat which gives better boat control. without a kicker motor, it's almost impossible to get down slow enough to troll. but bags are a great alternative to a kicker if you don't have one.

Post Thanks / Like

Okuma Convectors are well worth the money. For the price, they are my go-to reel.
    Okuma Magda Pros are junk and make people never want to own Okumas again... There is no comparison between the Magdas and the Convectors.

However... I was on a charter boat last year that had some new version of the Okuma Magdas and he really likes them... and he runs a lot of charters. He said that they are a totally new design and he tried them and liked them... They were a lot better than the old ones, but I don't know enough about them to recommend them.