May 2nd weekend May 2nd weekend May 2nd weekend May 2nd weekend
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May 2nd weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Default May 2nd weekend

I am coming up from Cinci this weekend for a charter. I've been following your posts for several weeks. The weather forecast has me concerned. Wed. and Thurs. east winds. Back to the West on Fri. and Sat. with colder weather. We are going out of Port Clinton. I've already picked up some green and purple jigs. Any other suggestions or predictions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Don't rule out the worm harness. With the heat wave we just had, things could be changing.

walleyewacker Guest

If you are going out with a half way decent charter, they will have what you need, unless you are going on a head boat. Then they will tell what to have, either jigs or harnesses.

Post Thanks / Like

Same charter captain for years. Always casting a worm harness. Just looking for alternatives to be prepared for. We've just never come this early.

walleyewacker Guest

Does the captain provide tackle? If not I would give him a call and ask if you will need hair jigs or harnesses. About this time a lot of the fish start to move off of the reefs and head for a little deeper water so you could be doing either or. During this time, I am prepared for both. Sometimes I am jigging and running bottom bouncers at the same time. You will catch fish using both methods.

Post Thanks / Like

A good assortment on maribu (hair) jigs ranging from 1/8-1 oz. Purple is the go to, black, chartreuse, white, green, orange, yellow too. Rig with stingers. Have some with blades like road runners. I would run a worm harness very close to the bottom and just drag it. I like a silver blade, green beads with 3 small red hooks. Emerald fleck on the blade is best, Colorado blade about the size of a dime, size 2 or 3 I think. Use a 3 or 4 oz egg sinker slipped above a swivel. let it drag.

Post Thanks / Like

I know the cap'n will take care of us but I wondered about the weather. Will the East winds lay down in time for Saturday and the cold weather to work? Also, we'll be at Mr. Ed's on Friday if you want a beer.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wmyer View Post
    I know the cap'n will take care of us but I wondered about the weather. Will the East winds lay down in time for Saturday and the cold weather to work? Also, we'll be at Mr. Ed's on Friday if you want a beer.

Doug
    Mr Ed's is a cool place with great sandwiches. The strongest thing I drink is red bull. I wasn't very good at drinking. I really appreciate the invite, but will be in San Antonio for a freaking wedding. Some people just don't know it's walleye season. If you get to town by 3 or 4, walk up to Brand's dry dock ( that's my boat home), on the river side of Ed's and you will see what was caught Friday in the fish cleaning house. My experience with the East wind is it will shut fish down for about 12 hours or so then they start to feed with a stable or rising barometer. I had 4 straight days in May in 07 that went like 12 fish- limit, 12 fish -limit, 22 fish- 2 short of limit rough seas, then on the 4yth day, went out with just me and my sweet wife, light East wind, picked one here, one there, had three in 4 hours or so, started trolling, picked another, slow trolling then about 1pm all hell broke loose and couldn' keep lines in the water. Probably hit the century mark that day. My buddy called, same dock, he was up to do a little boat work, Jen and I ran in, ate and showered and picked him and his wife up, went back out and landed their 12 fish and stopped. The wind was East all day and kicken pretty good by that eve. Yes. we only kept our 12 then their 12 before anyone wants to jump. We had one other day that year. July 27 near Wheatly canada (60 mile run) fishing steelhead. The walleye were like white perch. had our limit in 10 minutes and they just kept coming. I sped up, but they hit dipseys as they were running back. Same with leadcore. They even hit riggers at 4.2 mph. Took forever to get 10 steelies. Must have landed 150 eyes. All in an east wind. My best trophy fishing is ALWAYS with a North wind. Don't know why. North wind at 15-25. Barely fishable.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. I personally would skip the wedding and fish, but that's just me. Hopefully I can catch enough to make us both happy. I'll post pictures on Monday even if it's just the sunrise. Have a safe trip to San Antonio.

Doug

gsehntr1226 Guest

Hey spoonie can you do the trolling thing this early, either body baits, spoons, or crawler harnesss, what you think? Thanks for your reply