Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22 Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22 Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22 Perch.   West of Kellys 8/2/22
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Perch. West of Kellys 8/2/22

Fished twice this past week West of Kellys in 28 FOW. 3 persons both times. 150 total perch (64 lbs) fishing shiners on the bottom using in line rigs. Numerous 11 and 12 inch perch. Heard there is a better bite near Green island.

Baha299

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Perch. West of Kellys 8/2/22

nice job on the perch

Post Thanks / Like

Great. Glad your on them.
    Thanks for the report.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

What am I do wrong I fished west of Kelly's on Friday in with all the others out there did not catch a single perch

Post Thanks / Like

Impossible to say what your doing wrong without seeing it. Here's what you need to do. (1) Get good minnows for bait, preferably emeralds. (2) use your electronics so you know there are fish under you. (3) use sensitive graphite rods with braid so you can feel the bite. (4) if your not getting bites, move to another spot. (5) keep your weight on the bottom unless you are using spreaders. Drop spreader to the bottom and raise up a crank or two. I fish with 2 rods and hold them to feel the ticks of the bite. That also lets me cushion the wave action to keep my weights from lifting off the bottom.
    The most important thing about perch fishing is pay attention to details. Watch your rod tips and feel what's going on. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean live minnows? If so, are they available on Kelly’s somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

I have 8lb braid on my perch rods. Landed a 20 inch walleye and numerous large sheeps head this year without breaking off. Drag setting important.

Shore fishing from Kellys. If it were me I would fish for smallmouth around the rocks. You can see the fish from most locations around the island especially in North Bay. Check with someone local about bait types.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use spinning gear for perch fishing but switched to a bait caster a couple of years ago and will never use spinning gear again if I don’t have to. Bait caster is faster up and down, one handed operation and easier to drop back to the bottom if you crank up a foot or two off of the bottom. Check out Denali Pryme Crappie rods. They are super sensitive. I’m using a Lew’s 8.1:1 retrieve bait caster and it brings up perch as fast as any spinning reel. Look on Bass boat central for used and you can get a reel that will last a lifetime for a great price.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice, Bankangler!
    I had already purchased a KastKing 7.2:1 reel before I got BBrack's comments. Tried the reel out this past weekend and really liked it, especially for the $31 price tag. I still plan to purchase the Diawa Revros that BBrack recommended as I need to upgrade 4 perch rods total... so why not try both reels out....
    Partnering the reels with Shakespear Micro 5.6'. Loved the feel of this rod, trying it out this past weekend.
    Another 3 perch off west side of Kelly's in 29 FOW between 7am and 9:30am Saturday. Very few boats pulling up perch around us. Fished Sunday in 4 FOW (yes four) in back Sandusky bay (behind Cedar Point) and caught about 30 perch but only 7 keepers, one 13". Will wait till September and then fish off Kelly's as well as off Cedar Point through end of October.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice from Wheezer. Perch for us have been biting very lightly; sometimes only a vibration in the line or tip of rod. We were teasing strikes by letting the bait fall to bottom and leaving it there (slack line) for about 5 seconds. Then slowly tighten line and anticipate a bite. That said we fished the same area Saturday 8-6-22 and only caught 12 perch. Lots of white perch now in that area. We started south of the 1000 boats near Green island but only had 5 keepers (8 inch or better) and threw back 20 plus small perch in the short time we were there. Just did not wish to deal with all the boats, Jet Express or the poker run go fast boats. Moved east to the west side of Kellys but only got the 12. Fished 830-12p for 17 total perch.

Baha299
    Last edited by Baha299; 08-07-2022 at 09:48 AM.