Not Safe Boating Not Safe Boating Not Safe Boating Not Safe Boating
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Not Safe Boating

one spring I hit three dead heads, took out 2 stern drives, and even witnessed a picnic table floating a mile offshore, so don't try to be a hero. be smart and go it slowly

Quote Originally Posted by limitlypps View Post
    one spring I hit three dead heads, took out 2 stern drives, and even witnessed a picnic table floating a mile offshore, so don't try to be a hero. be smart and go it slowly
    A good buddy of mine hit a pipe that was just below the surface a few years ago and his 200 HP V-Max ended up in his passenger seat. No joke. Had anyone been fishing with him at the time, they would have likely been dead. Totaled the boat, but he was fine.

It happened on Lake St. Clair when a dredging barge was working about 500 yards from the Harley-Ensign boat ramp, they were pumping the sludge back to land through the pipe. There were no bouys or markers warning that the pipe was there. Another boat went through the area right before him and didn't have any issues, so he went through as well. As they pumped the pipe would rise and fall depending on how much stuff was going through it. The boat before just got lucky and timed it right. When he talked to the Coast Guard about it, they said he wasn't the first to hit it, so it is crazy that they didn't have it marked when he went through.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Blog Entries

I am 85. My dad would take me fishing out of the Chagrin River then always to that electric plant warm water discharge. That was in the early 1950s. Great memories! Thanks for your article and its nostalgia. Capt Pete

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
    there will be plenty of time this year to get your fish, safe boating is always a number 1, be safe, there will be plenty of time to get your eye on~!
    Well said Waterdog. Good to see you back!

Fortunately (rather unfortunately) I won't be tempted. Had urgent spinal surgery last week to relieve pressure on spinal nerves in neck. Successful but facing several weeks recovery from that. And still don't yet have Myasthenia Gravis muscle weakness under control. Who knows when I will again be able to bounce around in a boat on Erie? So for third year in a row face - at least for now - a fishing season confined in a chair at home and my own boat that hasn't been in water for two years. Will dream of better days to come by reading the posts of good folks like you and Jules. Keeps me going and hoping for the positive.

Sorry to hear this LE friend. I had neck surgery 3 years ago and recovered well. I hope yours gets better and you can get that boat out.

Actually if you look at the data, spring fishing is safer than in the summer. More people die during the warm summer months that this time of year. Over all boating death per 100000, is safer than driving to the bait shop to pick up gear to go fishing. I think most people who fish in the early spring know that it takes extra care, so they do. With this in mind, I never could figure out the sociology of the Nelly nay sayers. I think they are afraid to go them selves, and in turn they don't want anyone else to enjoy themselves either. The reasons don't really matter as to why they continue to try and scare people. Just go and have a good time fishing. See ya on the water.
    Duckwater boat owner, I fish for fun.