About me:
I have not posted on this site since 2017 but have read this forum off and on for the past 4 years. I have never been one to give bogus information or stand by and let someone steer this fishing community wrong with bogus information while I was actively posting. Check my history if in doubt.

I decided to post now because some of the newer members seem to be having trouble hooking and harvesting perch while fishing with pin head shiners. The two things that I have learned over the years while perch fishing with pin head shiners is to downsize my fish hooks. I always carry along a supply of #8 fine wire rotating hooks most often red in color, (Tru-Turn, Mr Crappie or Eagle claw) to name a few, and a quality hook disgorger with a small enough end to remove hooks from smaller fish. To me bait holder hooks are not suitable since they are made from heavier wire and don’t penetrate as easy as the fine wire hooks.

The small wire diameter of the #8 hooks allow you to get those pin heads on the hook without breaking or destroying them, I hooked my pinheads through the eyes and then back out thru the body or the reverse of that method. This make the bait presentation more durable with less lost bait with fewer empty hooks after a bite resulting in a higher catch rate the perch have a harder time getting the bait off without getting the hook in their mouth.

I hope this helps with catching perch while using pin heads.