Dipsy Diver setting's Dipsy Diver setting's Dipsy Diver setting's Dipsy Diver setting's
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dipsy Diver setting's

Great input on this Thread! Thanks everyone! Have been running #1's for around 25 Years and there is a ton great info here, so thought I would add some other info for everyone's consideration;
    Definitely using the clicker for me and thumbing the spool, especially when setting the outside Dipsey over the inside one's. Setting out to fast will "wrap" the line around the release, which is not fun to retrieve later on, or entangle another Dipsey. Release tension: I carry a small stubby screw driver in my pocket to change release tension, I set them based on the days conditions. Try to have them as loose as possible, without tripping with nothing there, or to hard to release when you wrist snap to break the release. Use only one wrist snap, or rod pull to release the Dipsey, maybe two? Be super careful letting out a Dipsey while turning, watch the line and stay out of another Dipsey's path. If you have your "#1" Dipseys dialed in and catching, use the Dive curve chart, Trolling Bible or App to set the other setting Dipseys quickly to the fish zone, although alot of times active fish will be at different depths. The reverse is true also, set your Dipsys via the dive curve chart for the depth of the fish. Tangles happen: If two Dipseys get tangled, get both rods out of the water ASAP, not good to leave them twirling around, bad things will happen, time is of the essence!! Super Snarls and Cluster Flucks: A bad tangle, If you have spent more than 5 minutes trying to untangle, save the time and aggravation and get out your knife and retie, life is short! Although sometimes I like the challenge... So writing all of this (very fresh in my mind), I had my worst cluster in 4 years on Thursday, tired and sore (surgery complication) set out the 3.5 on a starboard turn, too quick on the port side, did not notice it right away, it tangled in the 1.5. Other crew were busy, captain was busy, so had to get the tangled rods/Dipseys out by myself, which took to long. Did not wait the 5 minutes once they were in, out came my knife. Best of all, my fishing "friends" were kind enough to save the cut cluster/snarl and display it at beer thirty back at camp for all to behold.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds a lot like the tangle I had. Took me a half hour back at camp to get mine out. Had a dipsy two worm harnesses and 2 leaders to cut out. Was quite a mess. I didn't have an extra dipsy to use that day but I did learn to make extra leaders to have on hand. I'll maybe have 1 more walleye trip to try what I've learned here before I start perch fishing. I will have to put to use the perch techniques that I learned from last year from everyone. This is a great forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I tie my leaders with 20# Seaguar flourocarbon at 7ft with a swivel and a snap.I make sure I have at least 6 leaders or 2 extra ones available to use.The flourocarbon is pretty stiff and you have a good chance untangling that flourocarbon if you tangle the leader.Now if the braid line tangles don't waste much time,cut and retie.If two lines tangle,bring in both rods together and you may luck out and just have to just move one line under another.But bringing them in together does lessen the tangle some.And watch those other lines,those fish seam to have an uncanny ability to bite when you are busy doing something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty good video. Is it important to toss your outside diver that way. I was just letting it out slowly next to the inside diver.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    Pretty good video. Is it important to toss your outside diver that way. I was just letting it out slowly next to the inside diver.
    We don't toss them to the side. I rig all of my divers with a fairly long lead (for salmon). Just let lure out behind the boat, extend rod out and over the inside diver line before deploying slowly. As others have mentioned we ran our high divers at a 3+ and low divers 1-1/2 - 2. If we're running mag divers they go on the low/inside, and smaller divers up high.

We are able to trip and reset either high or low divers without having to pull the other first. That is with a flasher/fly combo twirling behind, so I would think a walleye spoon or stick bait wouldn't pose issues either.

We have 8' rods on the inside (low) and 9' on the outside (high). Seems to work fine. Just make sure all the dipsies are set for the right side.. easy enough to mess up. Also those dials can get a little loose, so need to make sure the 3 stays on 3, etc..
    Last edited by rcolson29; 07-28-2021 at 11:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll give that a try. It would seem deploying the outside diver behind the boat and crossing it over the inside sounds like suicide. I'm assuming the inside diver is deep enough that it crosses right over without a problem. Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm running a 30'+ leader to my lure, so trying to dangle that to the side would be difficult. L Mich water is so clear that leader lengths have increased over the years. If a person is running less than a 10' leader I'd probably just hang the whole works outside of the inner diver and begin to deploy. Sorry for the confusion... my brain is in salmon mode yet. Wish Erie wasn't 12 hrs away for me, because that Summer bite sounds like a blast! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    I'm still learning how to run dipsy divers. I kept getting tangled with the two poles together on one side. Does the 3 setting make the diver go out or back farther. I learned back farther but when you reel the 3 setting in how do you not get tangled with the 1 setting.
    Here is a sample version of what I use when fishing 50 foot of water, and targeting in the 30+ foot range

I prefer Dreamweaver Dispy divers over Luhr Jensen (preference). I also take a finger nail file and sand/file in between the release because generally they are too tight from the factory for my liking.

I use two different sizes of Divers- 107mm on my inside boards and 82mm on my outside boards. (preference)

Shorter length poles inside( 8' )and longer on the outside (10') also helps!

Keep in mind you can only use spoons, worm harnesses (w/ short lead lenghs) and shallow divers on the dipsys

Tangle preventers

1) Make sure the outside dipsy divers are going away from the boat not towards it
    2) Use the clicker once sending the divers out (Slow and controlled)
    3) Click over once desired length is reached and set drag light but not too light in case of a very large fish or stealhead

Best of luckDipsy Diver setting's-20210729_143103-jpg
    Last edited by Erie Encounter; 07-29-2021 at 02:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks EE sounds like good advice.