New to area, looking for advice New to area, looking for advice New to area, looking for advice New to area, looking for advice
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New to area, looking for advice

Hey there, I fish from an 18 ft deep v boat. From what I hear Erie is even more aggressive weather/water wise than is Lake MI because Lake Erie is shallower. But I watch my days, weather and wind direction. For the most part, if I see over 10 mph I have to think about it. Especially if it is out of the North or East. But that said, I am able to fish the lake a lot and travel some pretty long distances out there. West of the islands is where I am assuming you would fish due to the location you said you were at. I like to fish the water East of the islands. But there are walleyes all over. In fact there have been some reports of good catches farther West than I normally travel. The Toledo shipping channel and everywhere to the islands. As far as methods, it depends on how you want to fish. Trolling is most popular any more for walleyes it seems. I recommend looking at some of the reports prior to your post. You can learn a lot from them and what is working for them. From your post you have everything you need. The western basin is not very deep. If you find over 40 feet you found a deep spot.Try to get some crank baits, spoons or harness down around 17-18 ft. Or just above your marks you will catch them pretty easy. Lot of dinks out there so I use cranks mostly and I check them often for hitch hikers. Just look for the groups of moving boats. Good Luck. Oh yes- & thanks for your past service to our Great Nation! USA!!!!!

Kent

PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 07-15-2021 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Spelling