Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Casters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Casters

So it seems that either there are no casters/drifters left on the lake or they just don't want to share info on here anymore! 1 man limit of nice fish 2 miles north of C can this morning. Perchy colored Erie dearie or gold mayfly rig. All in the top half of water column.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Casters

Thanks for the report. I can’t remember the last time someone who drift fished made a report. I was planning on goin either Sunday or Monday. I’ll be sure to let u know how I did if I get out. How was the chop out there when u fished? Did u have any wind out there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
    So it seems that either there are no casters/drifters left on the lake or they just don't want to share info on here anymore! 1 man limit of nice fish 2 miles north of C can this morning. Perchy colored Erie dearie or gold mayfly rig. All in the top half of water column.
    There is a facebook page erie casters. Only post casting reorts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bob View Post
    There is a facebook page erie casters. Only post casting reorts
    I dont even have a facebook account. There should be enough of us here to share good info. Good bite this morn west of rattlesnake.

Post Thanks / Like

I also was North of C can and got 2 limits on gold erie dearies and purple, also went east of west sister by the net stakes and managed a few.

Capt. Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slawdog81 View Post
    I also was North of C can and got 2 limits on gold erie dearies and purple, also went east of west sister by the net stakes and managed a few.

Capt. Andy
    I am New to the site however been fishing the Western basin for over 30 years. I’m 56. I only cast. I get in about 12 weekends a year. This past weekend was one. I left dock Friday at 545. Stopped west of west sister on some marks & started to fish. About 50 charters went by me to fish farther north. About 45 minutes later there must have been 75 charters casting in the area. I only had 3. We moved east towards light house & out of the traffic & finished our limit. Saturday started between A can & island & pulled 16 in 4 hours. Red beads smaller gold blades at a 2-3 count.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information and post. I was out on Monday, also 56 and fish for walleye in April, May and June. I was casting worm harnesses and had no luck. Went out of Port Clinton and fished around Green Island. Was marking fishing but I wasn't sure on the weight and was using tiger color harnesses. I mostly fish for smallmouth and largemouth but I am learning more and more about walleye casting/drifting. The "cans", how do you learn what can is A. B, C etc ? What size weight do you use and do you let it hit bottom? Thanks for the help, great info. I will have this down by 2024! : )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Thanks for the information and post. I was out on Monday, also 56 and fish for walleye in April, May and June. I was casting worm harnesses and had no luck. Went out of Port Clinton and fished around Green Island. Was marking fishing but I wasn't sure on the weight and was using tiger color harnesses. I mostly fish for smallmouth and largemouth but I am learning more and more about walleye casting/drifting. The "cans", how do you learn what can is A. B, C etc ? What size weight do you use and do you let it hit bottom? Thanks for the help, great info. I will have this down by 2024! : )
    The Cans are marked on most navigation charts and on the Navionics chips. They mark the Camp Perry firing range. A is the top NW corner with B and C in line to the east. C is the NE corner (near Niagara reef) and then the line goes southeast thru D, E, and F. F is the SE corner and the line goes SW through Area 1 that is off limits all the time. K and L round out the range from Locust Point back to A in a NW line. I'm sure some readers know how to find the map on line.

From what I read, the casters are not letting their weight hit bottom, but giving it a count of 5 or 10 before starting the retrieve. Weight depends on wind/waves and depth. I normally use 1/2 or 3/4 oz egg sinkers in the loop of my harness.

We'll be there all next week. Hope this helps,
    Bordy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We went out Meinke west Friday got shut down from thunder storms in morning but did get out in the late after noon fished west of intake casting weapons and bottom bouncers with harness was hard to fish do to big rolling waves , tried again Saturday went to turn around bouy same thing but caught a few decent fish and a lot of shorts and of course homers and white perch there were lots of boats there doing about the same thing but I heard radio reports things were sounding better for trollers however I think they had to work for them also. so next trip going to head to 30 ft water if weather permits

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MBLMIKE View Post
    We went out Meinke west Friday got shut down from thunder storms in morning but did get out in the late after noon fished west of intake casting weapons and bottom bouncers with harness was hard to fish do to big rolling waves , tried again Saturday went to turn around bouy same thing but caught a few decent fish and a lot of shorts and of course homers and white perch there were lots of boats there doing about the same thing but I heard radio reports things were sounding better for trollers however I think they had to work for them also. so next trip going to head to 30 ft water if weather permits
    I was out Saturday morning. Started at 7:30 north of intake and fished in 26' of water. We made 6 long drifts. Casting #4 gold or copper blades and ran a couple bottom bouncers. We stopped at 1:30. Ended up with 24 keepers for 5 guys. Over 50 shorts - I caught 31 shorts myself. 20-25 sheepshead and over 25 white perch. Casting to a 10 count or bottom bouncers off the bottom 4-5 cranks up.