Vacuum sealer for fish? Vacuum sealer for fish? Vacuum sealer for fish? Vacuum sealer for fish?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vacuum sealer for fish?

I like to vac seal some, but I still do the majority in water.

The most significant benefit to vac seal is how fast it thaws. That's why I do some, it is a nice convenient option to have on hand. If I decide I want some fish, I can thaw it in warm water and be freezer to plate in less than 30 minutes.
    Whereas the ice cube of fish takes a couple hours planning. The other benefit is saving freezer space but I don't have much of an issue with that.

The most significant drawback is that is a moderate PIA to vac seal if you put up a lot of fish. Moisture is your enemy to sealing with home grade units. A few different ways to deal with that and all are an extra step in the process. If you don't get a good seal it needs to be eaten ASAP.

As far as the quality of the fish, with white fish like walleye it's simply not a factor.
    During freezer cleanup I've eaten 2-3 year old fish put up both ways and done properly both achieve the ultimate goal of protecting the fish from freezer burn.
    Last edited by elk yinzer; 05-09-2021 at 06:43 PM.