Quote Originally Posted by dunn782 View Post
It's always been my understanding that a fiberglass boat will ride better than aluminum because they weigh more. But if you want to trailer the boat any distance better with aluminum especially if your talking a 20'+ boat. I have an Alumacraft 17' and will upgrade in the next year or 2. I have been leaning towards fiberglass. I want a 20'-22' and will trailer it as far as Wisconsin and Minnesota on occasion so I'm really on the fence. I think you could pull a 22' aluminum boat with a 1/2 ton truck but for a fiberglass boat you would really want a 3/4 ton.
I pulled a Lund 2250 Sportfisherman the weighed 3800 lbs with my Ford Ranger. A 22' boat of either glass or aluminum would not be an issue as long as it is not underpowered. My F 150 is rated for 11,000 but I would not make a habit of pulling loads of this weight. I think up to 7000 for a 1/2 ton truck would not be an issue. Now my Tiara 2700 Open with fuel and gear weighed around 11,500 on the trailer. I have a F350 that I used to pull that.