Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
Walleye will stage off Huron in the fall and early winter.That area can extend to the east side of Kellies and north.The bite had slowed way down the past week due to the cold weather turning the lake over.The catching should improve soon with some stable weather.The most common way to catch now should be crankbaits and some spoons for a little while longer.The fish should be more active higher in water column too.They are also catching fish casting worm harnesses and weight forward on the shoals.Gull and Kellies island both are great areas to cast for walleye in the fall.
I used to have great success casting 1/6 oz gold Crippled Herrings downwind to rocky shoals. This metal jig was light enough to work it through the rocky structure with few snags...deadly for big walleyes. Unfortunately, this lure was discontinued when Rapala bought out Luhr Jensen in 2005. Now, the smallest Crippled Herring is a 1/2 oz'er. Fortunately, the Sonic BaitFish was created several years later and is carried by Tibbels Marina on Marblehead. It was responsible for a 14 lb walleye through the ice about five years ago by a young Tibbels boy. Anyway, the Sonic Baitfish has a great variety of smaller metal jigs that are even more productive that the 1/6 oz Crippled Herring...sizes range from 1/16 to 1 oz. I love the 1/10 and 1/6 oz'ers for both walleyes and yellow perch. My second choice is the 1/4 oz Erie Shiner pea weight-forward spinner in a solid fluorescent chartreuse color ...a walleye killer to suspended walleyes and walleyes in the rock piles.