planner board set up planner board set up planner board set up planner board set up

Default planner board set up

been fishing erie for several years... what a fishery. I can't wait to get out this fall.

Question for off shore planner board set ups. Mine are all rigged with the black OR18 gripper clip up front and the red OR16 with pin in the rear with a tattle. seems this is the most popular set up.

Wondering who runs with the setup that comes standard when buying the boards, orange clip up front and the red OR16 in back. I like the thought of it releasing so you don't fight the board as much and seems that it would be easier to bring an outside board in with a fish without clearing the inside boards.

Wondering why this is not more popular and if I should give it a go? Maybe with the waves on erie you would have too many false trips?

For those that are running the orange clip up front how do you like it?

For those with the black clip up front why not try the orange?

I have been running my offshore boards for years with the black OR18 release in front and red OR16 release in rear with tattle flag modified to go down.Have not had much problem running till this summer.We have been running bandits with 2oz weight and long leads when water really warms up at 2.5-2.7mph.The problem I was having,was the board would sometimes dive below the water while reeling in a fish.One day in particular,was a real nuisance.Was letting a novice bring in a fish one day and the board dove.Told him to open bail and give it some slack...well he did but did not put thumb on spool and got giant rats nest.The line broke,but was able to find board with fish still attached.I texted an expert I knew to see how much line I needed to respool line and he suggested I switch to the OR19 release in front of board.He told me to watch 411 fishing video on how to rig line.Also said that OR19 will hold the line and not slip.Just make sure you get line behind pin in that red OR16 or would lose board.I even go further and wrap the line once behind pin on the OR16.So started using that OR19 on my two outside boards for past 2mo.Got a bit of a learning curve,but has worked well for us so far.Much easier to bring in fish and no diving boards.Sometimes it doesn't pull out of release,but not often.Then I just bring in like I did before.I would give it a try for sure.

I run the or19 in the back and the Orange up front for awhile now and seems to be the best I have found . If it's a little rough just put it a little deeper in the Orange .

The OR 19 is orange