Quote Originally Posted by Capt Porkchop View Post
what bob described is one way to do it, but i do not do it that way. I put out 50 then add a 2 oz weight then let out 15 feet to read 65 total feet out. The numbers are what your counter reads, this seems easier to me as there is no need for math. just match the numbers on your counter to the precision trolling app and speed and your bait is where you want it. So basically i run 50' leads then put on the 2 oz weight and adjust my depth with the amount of line left out after the weight. This keeps things consistent and easy to remember. I have found if i run different leads it doesn't catch any more fish and creates more tangles. If i decide to run 30 foot leads then i run them all 30 on one side ( i do this in bigger waves for better control). sometimes i will run 30 on one side and 50 on the other especially if mixing p-10's and bandits in the winter and spring as the bandits dive deeper and do not need as much lead to get to the same depth. I never mix on the same side as it always seems to end up in tangles unless i'm only running 3 or 4 lines and they are spread apart a fairly good distance. I'm typically running 6 boards per side and they are spread apart about 10 to 12 feet, that is pretty close together and the big change in leads can cause issues.
Thanks for clearing that up. I can't even imagine running 6 boards per side. 3 is plenty for me as we usually only run 6 lines for two or even three people in the boat. More than that and I will lose my serenity pretty quickly.