Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
The main point to remember here is Lake Erie is a dynamic system, like all environments. There is no “normal,” only short and long term trends.

The theory is the spiny water fleas are eating enough of the other algae-eating zooplankton to at least partially account for the increased late summer algae blooms. The huge/large population of the spiny water flea provides an easy and plentiful food source for Yellow Perch. As long as that food source is readily available, the perch will take advantage of it, almost exclusively. So yes, the system seems to be altered. One thing effects another and on down the line. All other factors also play a role; higher water levels, water temperatures and other water parameters, a high walleye population, etc.

Commercial fishing is highly regulated and monitored. There is little chance it is a significant factor in any of this.

The researches and monitors will continue to study this and figure out what’s going on. Meanwhile we fisherfolks will do what we often do – adapt.
IMO if you think commercial fishing has little impact on fish numbers, your paycheck must come from that industry. Sport fishing lake wide, and the limited commercial fishing on the US side or the lake has little impact on numbers. The Canadian commercial fleet is a different story. You are correct in the fact that there are many factors involved with fish numbers from year to year, but I think you're missing my point. Once Quotas are set, those fish will be caught. If in following years if recruitment is poor, or any other problem pops up that is damaging to the fishery, its to late those fish are gone.

What makes me curious is the OH dnr says perch numbers are up, but the Canadian fisheries people cut the Canadian quotas by 32%. The Canadians don't give anything up without hard facts.