Not much was happening in the south passage today off of American Eagle Shoal. It was fairly choppy and I had the drift bag out. I did get a late start and got out there at noon, and came in at 4. The last few weeks, 4 hours would have gotten us our limit. 3 guys in the boat, we got 6 keepers and tossed back 2 small ones. All right on the bottom.

Given the wind, heavy bottom bouncers were the order of the day. Every fish we got in was on a small Stinger spoon. All we were getting on harnasses was sheephead. Usually spoons are a trolling proposition, but when the wind is blowing like it was today the boat drifts plenty fast to make a spoon flutter. Like I said: bottom bouncer, about a 5 foot leader, then a spoon. Copper and chartreuse seemed best, we got 4 of them on that color on one rod, the others were on chartreuse and silver.

When I'm drifting with spoons (and even when I am trolling, which I haven't done in 2 years given how good they have been biting drifting and casting) I usually hedge my bets and for some reason put a little chunk of worm on the hook. No more than half an inch long, you don't want to impair the movement of the spoon, but I just like the idea of a scent trail in the water.

I"d say waves were about 4 feet. I usually call it quits if they hit 5.

Looking at the fish finder I think the fish are still in the area. There were several head boats there. Just, given the front coming through, they weren't biting well is all.