Sure Shad Sure Shad Sure Shad Sure Shad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sure Shad

Default Sure Shad

Hi Folks,

I am a former Lake Erie charter captain. I operated a boat called “The Hotfire” from 1986-1992 in the heyday of drifting and casting weight forward spinners. Sadly I haven’t fished Erie since then.

I have been reading this forum for a few years, but decided to register and post for the first time today. Why today? Because PZeller mentioned a weight forward spinner called the Sure Shad. This drew my interest because my boat was sponsored by Sure Shad back in the day. I was just wondering if PZeller’s weight forward is the same lure from the same company. The Sure Shad I used was made by the Veselka Tackle Company based in Toledo. The owner was John Veselka. Does anybody else use these or remember this company? I have a tackle box JAMMED FULL of them (still in the packages). Simply for nostalgic purposes, I would be interested in any information about this company. Thanks, everybody. I enjoy reading your reports and posts.

Hotfire

welcome aboard i think not positive that a friend of mine bought him out a few years ago he used to own a bait shop now he just owns the building i see him alot ill ask i used to get rejects that had a paint splatter or a bad mark on them ill find out from him and let you know i also have a box full of them and erie deries

I was born in 79, grew up on the lake everyweeked alost casting Erie dearies, some rare days dad would drag hot and tots and warts. We didn't have line counters, didn't do speed control, heck till later on no such thing as GPS till site came out. I love to see how fishing has changed, especially after the zebra muscle took foot. But love hoe much of the same still works. I know we used a few other brands back then but don't recall the names, could you post a pic of sure shad just for the s&g factor of seeing if it'd something we used to use or not.
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Here is the photo you requested. Sure Shad-shad1-jpg

Here is the company info from back in the day.
    Sure Shad-shad2-jpg

It is fun to read about old baits still working, Back in the late 70's and early 80's my Grandfather was stuck on the gold nuggets, every once in a while I will put one on and still manage to catch a few on the nuggets.

Looked through papa''s old box sure enough found about 3 dozen new ED, SS, and several other off brands.

Brought them up if for no other reason to feel like he us still there with me
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

was thinking about the old gold nuggets just the other day. Found some on internet tonight for 7 to 8 dollars each.

Quote Originally Posted by Basstracker1333 View Post
    It is fun to read about old baits still working, Back in the late 70's and early 80's my Grandfather was stuck on the gold nuggets, every once in a while I will put one on and still manage to catch a few on the nuggets.
    Yes those were the days!! We would throw 4 different colors.... green and white red and white all red all green and who ever caught the first fish showed the color and the count and everybody else followed suit. Didn't always work but damn we where havin' fun with 10 fish limits.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

And don't forget chartreuse! That was always the hot color for us. I also remember a few other weight forwards... The Parrish Pea, The Lake Erie Hellion, and the Big John (just to name a few). And of course there were Hot n' Tots and Wiggle Warts crankbaits before trolling was all the rage. Ahhhh, those were the days!