40 Tru trips & trolling 40 Tru trips & trolling 40 Tru trips & trolling 40 Tru trips & trolling
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 40 Tru trips & trolling

Hey all, really looking for some help with this. I am new to trolling. Been drifting and casting since I was a kid. I recently got some 40 Tru Trips, new 8'6" rods, line counter reels, and already had spoons, harnesses, etc.

Here are my questions:
    When you are trolling 40 Tru Trips, I understand the depths and how the speed works as I have a chart but what I don't know is how long of a leader do you put on your spoons or harnesses? What kind of line should I use for the leader?

2nd, how do you know when a fish is on? Is it obvious? Does the rod bend over a lot more? If you are marking fish at 23' in 30' of water, should the bait be at 17-20'?

I have read a lot and seen plenty on the internet but I'm still lost here. This may seem like a silly question but I am just trying to learn from someone who is willing to give me a few pointers. Thanks and happy fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

In normal clarity I use a 6’ leader. Longer if the water is really clear. The trick on telling whether you have a fish on or not is to use matching rods, at least on 1 side of the boat. The one that acts different has a fish on. If you are only gonna run a few board rods, I would run them all on 1 side of the boat. You are ahead to run four or 5 on 1 side as to have 2 & 2 or 2 & 3. With tru trips they should plane up to the top.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a ton for the advice. I really appreciate it. What line should I use for the leaders? All the rods I have are the same, so I can check that off the list!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Always keep your baits above the marks. If the fish are really high you won’t even get a mark because of the diameter of sonar cone right under the boat may only be a few inches. If you are not catching try your baits only down 5’ or 10’

Post Thanks / Like

Also, what size spoons do you think are best? Does it depend on the size of the fish you are pulling? And what brand of spoons? I have some but I knownthere are a ton out there. Thanks!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

there are many days when I just run (2) flatlines off the back and do well even limits.

It is easiest to start by flatlining 2 rods off the back. (no boards or divers is flatlining) I run a tt40 with a spoon or harness on port side with a bottom bouncer or diver on the starboard. This keeps one near the top and one near the bottom. 2 people can easily handle this set up. Then put your tt40 on a board and run it out another 80 feet. Then put another tt40 out at a shorter depth and run it out with a board 50 feet. Now you have 3 running. You have probably already gotten bit on one or two so keep an eye on lines. If not run a 4th rod off the starboard side by adding diver set to run far off the side but above the first diver or bouncer. This is a typical WB setup and you can cover quite a bit of water from 5' down to 40' of water depth. Once the fish seem to prefer a depth of lure or type of presentation, move the others close to that. Some days the bouncer or diver will give you the biggest fish. sometimes it happens to be a FO sheepshead. I have caught 10#ers (walleye) on bouncer or diver in central basin like this.

Keep in mind you want to use braid line with dipsies (divers) so they really dig in and move out away from the boat.
    Rickerd

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great advice. Just a note of clarification; when I am reading the depth chart for tru trips, is it correct that the lead = the amount of line you let out to reach a certain depth? For instance, if the lead says 35 and the depth = 17.5', that means you let out 35 ft of line to reach that depth? Also, do you take into account how far the line is above the water to the reel and add that length to the total?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rickerd View Post
    there are many days when I just run (2) flatlines off the back and do well even limits.

It is easiest to start by flatlining 2 rods off the back. (no boards or divers is flatlining) I run a tt40 with a spoon or harness on port side with a bottom bouncer or diver on the starboard. This keeps one near the top and one near the bottom. 2 people can easily handle this set up. Then put your tt40 on a board and run it out another 80 feet. Then put another tt40 out at a shorter depth and run it out with a board 50 feet. Now you have 3 running. You have probably already gotten bit on one or two so keep an eye on lines. If not run a 4th rod off the starboard side by adding diver set to run far off the side but above the first diver or bouncer. This is a typical WB setup and you can cover quite a bit of water from 5' down to 40' of water depth. Once the fish seem to prefer a depth of lure or type of presentation, move the others close to that. Some days the bouncer or diver will give you the biggest fish. sometimes it happens to be a FO sheepshead. I have caught 10#ers (walleye) on bouncer or diver in central basin like this.

Keep in mind you want to use braid line with dipsies (divers) so they really dig in and move out away from the boat.
    Rickerd

Post Thanks / Like

What trolling boards are you using? If offshore boards I would recommend trutrip 30s. They don’t pull quite as hard on the boards. If you put the tattle flags on your boards it will also help you a lot as a new troller.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks rick2752. I have offshore boards with the flags. I haven't even used them yet as I was still figuring out the tru trips so far!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the TT30 work better than the TT40 on the offshore inline boards.Have used both and the TT40 pull very hard and you will have to adjust the tension on the tattle flag.My leaders for spoons are 7ft and my harnesses have 6.5ft length on them.Seaguar 17lb fluorocarbon for leader.