Quote Originally Posted by RobM1969 View Post
We've released a lot of 16-17 inch fish this year and I know others have done the same. I can honestly say that nearly every one of the fish that we've released has swam away and appeared to be in no worse condition than any small bass or other species that I've released. I also haven't seen a lot of small walleye floating around dead so I am wondering if there is some data that leads people to believe that these smaller fish are not surviving after being released. I actually feel a lot worse releasing small perch as I doubt that many of them survive.

Not trying to start a big debate or anything. Just trying to learn. I've never been in a position where I had to throw back so many "keeper" sized walleye!
All the data guys reference is from released tourney fish. I haven’t seen many 15-16” fish come in during a tourney. They try to push their beliefs on others using data that has nothing to do with what we are talking about. I sure hope none of these guys keep pre spawn females...Lol. I believe if the mortality rate was very high at all, that Travis Hartman and the ODNR would put an end to it. If you follow the law, do what you are comfortable with. And like you stated, I’ve yet to see a 14-17” Walleye floating on the surface. Guys must be culling sheepshead cuz I see plenty of them.