Fishing etiquette Fishing etiquette Fishing etiquette Fishing etiquette
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a question often asked with a lot of variety in answers. Too many of us forget there are US Coast Guard Navigation Rules that you are legally bound to adhere to when out on Lake Erie.

Here is a link to a PDF if you really want to see what the charter boat captains and other licensed boats have to know and follow (tested on to get a license).

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navrules/navrules.pdf

You should know and follow the basic rules included in the above.

Here are just a few of the rules that pertain to fishing.

:The term “vessel engaged in fishing” means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls,
    or other fishing apparatus which restricts maneuverability, but does not include a vessel
    fishing with trolling lines
    or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict maneuverability"

Safe Speed:
    (ii) the traffic density including concentrations of fishing vessels or any other vessels;

(c) A vessel engaged in fishing when underway shall, so far as possible, keep out of the way of:
    (i) a vessel not under command; and
    (ii) a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver.
    (d) A seaplane on the water shall, in general, keep well

The suggestions already given on this thread are sound, as good courtesy is always the norm.

Since I'm not the expert here, I won't say I'm completely correct. BUT, generally speaking, the safety of all drift fishing boats (a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver) is the responsibility of any vessel underway (trolling or setting up a drift). If you are trolling or setting up a new drift it is your responsibility to stay a safe distance from drift fishing boats. The 150 feet minimum rule is a pretty good distance in a tight pack of boats. Be smart. More distance is always better than less.

As far as two drift fishing boats go, the general rule (or should be) is the faster drifting boat should move, it should start it's engine and move enough to avoid a collision. Or the slower drifting boat if it comes in behind a faster drifting boat and sets up.

If we all follow these rules and courtesies we'll have few issues out on the water.
    Last edited by West Basin; 05-31-2018 at 12:42 PM.