Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
We were planning to fish today,Friday also until looked at windsurfing and saw the NE wind all day.Called it off.
Yeah, they totally blew that forecast. All week everyone was calling for winds out of SSW, including iWindsurf. On Thursday afternoon they actually changed it to South winds in the single digits for most of the day.
This obviously would have been best case scenario for us in Western Basin. At 8pm Thursday night iWindsurf still reflected the south winds in the single digits, so I went out to load and prep the boat. When I came back in house at 11pm the forecast had completely changed. Somewhere in that 3 hour period of time iWindsurf changed their forecast of best case south winds single digits to worst case winds out of NE in teens. All other weather outlets continued with the south wind forecast. Hoping that this was somehow a mistake or that my app was messed up we made the trip Friday morning. And of course it was a NE wind all day long. So iWindsurf was only weather outlet to get it right, and they didnt until only hours beforehand. I realize its April and its apparently very difficult to forecast, but how can all major weather outlets still get it so wrong? Even Friday morning Accuweather, NOAA, and weather.com all still calling for wind to switch and become SE, then eventually SW. Needless to say never happened. I know it made a rough day on water for many. We decided to launch but huddle around Catawba to try and stay out of it. Managed a few. Couple decent ones 25 -25 inch. Folks that were brave enough to head down to the reef complex did much better. I didnt wanna be out in that wind on first trip of year. Needed to test things out and make sure boat was ready. Made lots of changes over winter including some repair work on the keel. Took the safetey first approach and still managed to get a few fish. Did have great marks on west side of Catawba, just couldnt get too many on line. The ones we did catch all came on Bandits 60 and 65 back. Custom colors by Domka of which I cant recall names. Mostly darker greens and blues. Speed was 0.8 to 1.5 depending on direction we were going. Caught fish trolling both with and into the wind.