For beginners to using dipseys, I would recommend only one dipsey rod per side.I would be running that at a 3 setting.Using multiple dipseys per side is more complicated and can result in tangles.As for comment that dipsey rings coming off,went to boat show several years ago and Jim Stedke seminar said he super glues these rings on.I glued them and they don't come off no more.Another great tip I got on OGF website several years ago,set your two dipsey at depth think going to catch at.Probably 5-10ft difference between the two.If not catching in 15-20 min move one up 5ft and other down 5ft.If still not catching,continue to move one up and other down till find active fish.Dont even got to reel them in,but I usually do because can have a fish or junk,stripped worm or tangle.Can check the dipsey rods much quicker than the boards.Have noticed the last few years that the dipseys seam to start outfishing the boards as the water warms up in July and into September.Not sure why, except the dipseys create a bigger disturbance of water near your lure that attracts the fish.